When wine prevails over the gym: 2009 Baudry Clos Guillot gets worked out

After a huge office day yesterday, my butt has been dragging azz all day. So my normal Thursday night xfit class got sacrificed for a better sacrifice: popping a young 2009 Baudry Clos Guillot. It’s been about 2 years since I checked in on this bottling.

I cannot really say much has changed. Unlike the Grezeaux bottling that generally shows more backward, rustic to me (a positive), the Guillot shows more elegance and openness. A really pretty, medium weight, fragrant wine. An easy spot as Loire cab franc, lots of crunchy red fruits interspersed with some darks with aeration. Reveals earth, green bell pepper and slight ash. Fairly pure fruit, just a little chalkiness on the finish. The 2010 is a better wine, the 2009 is just lovely and approachable. Could make for medium-term maturing, but I think this is more of an early-drinking wine. I’d say hitting peak stride in 1-2 years really. A very fine bottle of wine for all of $25. Amazing value.
(91 pts.)

All of the Baudry cuvees are easy buys for me. In my pecking order, I tend to go Grezeaux, Croix Boissee, then Clos Guillot. That may be a bit contrary to conventional wisdom, with Grezeaux being the least expensive of the cuvees, but it is the most “Chinon” to me of the three. It is my palate preference for Chinon reds. I recall reading once that Baudry himself favored Grezeaux in quality vintages. I need to see if I can find that article . . . .

A really nice write-up on Baudry (with great pictures):

I think of Greseaux as more “fun” to drink than the bigger, denser Croix Boisee or elegant but lean and firm Clos Guillot.
At least that’s how I experienced them.