Corkage gone wild!

I’m sure this subject has been beat up but we just had a young couple come in to grab wine on their way to French Laundry, they said FL just increased their corkage to $150.00 a bottle, limit 1 bottle per couple.
Wasn’t corkage just $75?
Would you pay $150.00?

I would, as I imagine it would be better than buying something off the wine list that I didn’t really want.

Best,

N

Oh, I don’t think you’d have a problem finding something to like. French Laundry Wine List: https://binwise.com/print/FrenchLaundry_PDF.aspx?ListId=17&LocationId=7

Link? That’s outrageous

I looked through it, and, while there are, indeed, some of the age I’d find appropriate, it would be cheaper for me to bring my own bottle of the same wine and pay corkage.

What wine did they buy from you?

2011 Caymus Special Selection. Corkage will be more than the wine by 20 bucks.

Was it my friend? I told him to stop by your shop today? He will be at the FL tonight as well.

I’d buy off that list only if they would promise to buy back my urine for 1/2 price !! [shock.gif]

Don’t know. Young couple, maybe late 20’s early thirties. She was pretty tall. Your name didn’t come up for the WB discount.

Yep, there’s lots to like on the list except the prices.

Same wine from your cellar? Not allowed: “We are pleased to offer wine service for bottles not represented on our list.” http://www.tkrg.org/upload/fl_wine.pdf

Not my friends… Did not know about the WB discount! I did tell the guy to ask the woman about her special broom collection in the backroom [stirthepothal.gif] [wow.gif]

That would not be a problem. Many nice wines not on their list.

Ahem! cough cough! The “woman” is still here and my broom collection is not for sale. neener

I think I would have picked something other than a young Caymus SS but that’s what they wanted.

Just looking at menu, not exactly menu that screams for one classic aged wine. Personally I’d probably do a pair of half bottles, something like the Pieropan or the 08 Huet Bourg, and then a red like the 08 Meo Marsannay or the di Ama Chianti, and spend less/same as corkage. Or maybe one of several German Riesling full bottles for under $100. If with someone who prefers red, I could happily stay under corkage fee with '96 Montus, '03 Vatan (shockingly good for vintage in France), Arnot Roberts, etc.
Rather than spend $150 on corkage I’d prefer to save my more treasured bottles for a menu I devise at home to complement.

Discount? I was charged extra!

While I can understand someone with a good cellar wanting to take an aged bottle to a restaurant, even at high corkage, buying new release Caymus SS to take to a place with $150 corkage is really crazy.

I have to think one could find something on that FL list for $280 ($130 plus $150 corkage) which would pair better than the Caymus SS.

Dale,

We thought so too and had a better wine at 75 they could have bought to save more money. Neither of us have any interest in eating there. We aren’t foodies and I won’t eat half of what’s on the menu. But, this place is an experience for many people who aren’t wine geeks or aren’t that rich but want the experience.

The only three bottles I’d look forward to drinking where I don’t come out way ahead by bringing my own are Stony Hill, Wind Gap, and 1991 Fonseca Guimarens. Every other bottle I saw, I’d either be bored even at retail, or I’d be tense and resentful ordering it (but I’d try not to show it) because I would know that on Wine-Searcher it’s way less than French L minus 150. I am not a heavy hitter at all and even I have some wines that I would much rather bring than order off that list. It’s gouging. Why, just because they are a great restaurant food wise, can they charge so much for wine? The two have nothing to do with each other. It’s like adding a $300 cover charge for the privilege of eating there, unless you’re willing to forgo excellent wine with your meal. Are people so grateful to be there that they’re willing to pay hundreds of extra dolars for a packaged product they can get much much cheaper anywhere else? I’ve lost all interest in someday eating there.