2012 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Beaujolais Cuvée l'Ancien Vieilles Vignes

I’ve never gotten into Gamay, and truthfully never had one I like. But so many folks that I respect love it, I keep taking flyers on it. Picked this one up at Vif in Seattle, which carries a wide range of inexpensive Dressner wine. Recommended if you’re in town.

It reminds me of things that I like about (some) grenache. A lovely bright strawberry is the dominant feature of the palate. Good nose, a nice mix of red berries and earth, with a hint of spice.

More delicate than most Beaujolais I’ve tried, which I like. A pretty wine, and one that I’d drink again.

Posted from CellarTracker

Michael

Hi Michael,

The 2012 Beaujolais vintage is not strong and quite green in general- try a few 2011s from top producers if you can find them and you may find even more to like about Gamay than you thought possible. Monsieur Brun did better than most in 2012, but there is an awful lot more pleasure, depth and complexity to be found in other recent vintages.

All the Best,

John

Thanks, John. I did read your note, but after I wrote mine. I found the lightness of this wine an asset; it came off as much more ethereal than other Beaujolais I’ve tried. Then again, I’m not afraid of a little green. I will definitely kepe an eye out for Brun wines from more noted vintages. Thanks!

Michael

Veering slightly off-topic, the Terres Dorées Côte de Brouilly 2012 is just gorgeous. JP Bruns 2012’s are all really lovely for that matter.

Whoa, Michael, Beaujolais? I see some Foillard, Lapierre, Thevenet and Thivin in your future. Nice note. [cheers.gif]

I enjoyed a bottle of the 2018 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) ‘Cuvée l’Ancien Vieilles Vignes’ [Beaujolais] over 3 afternoons, and it kept getting better. I would not have expected a lighter, synthetic closed bottle to improve as this did, but air at this age seems to help. It’s light bodied to me, 12.5% abv, and showing a ruby/purple robe. It drinks well chilled, and avoids the banana bouquet some commercial bojo flaunt, instead its AFWE/red fruit tilted. To me the acids/tannins are well in check, but the fruit is still emerging. The first glass on the first day is tight, lean, even austere - but it rounds out with air and I find that it gains fruit, flavor over the next two afternoons. The old vines bottling goes from ‘eh,ok’ to ‘this is surprisingly good’. As the weather here gets hot (although it was cool the last few days) this is ideal to enjoy after a bike ride, or walking the dog. Also a good drink to share with people who don’t like reds - because they are always being proffered syrupy/oaky examples. They might change their mind with a svelte, un-oak adorned example like this gamay. I like it, and would repurchase, slotting it into the B+ zone, although I could see other enthusiasts being more enthused.
PXL_20210515_225922232.jpg