2010 Vignobles Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche

This is not a pretty wine. Not pretty at all.

Think rustic, wild, traditional Cornas. Big meaty, hairy, savage Cornas. But it’s not, it’s Cote Rotie.

And I like this. Lots.

A new producer to me. When the likes of Tooch, Salil and Levenberg rave about this producer, just buy it. I could kiss Tooch for the introduction.

I had no business popping this infant other than in the interest of science. Having tried recently some other monolithic 2010s, like Clape, I expected a completely unapproachable wine. Unapproachable it was early, but spectacular it was as well. After many hours of decanting, and indeed on day two, this wine shows fragrance, seared meat, olives, earth and some pepper spice. Some green stemminess that passed with aeration. Wide range of crisp red, blue and dark fruits. Chewy, hairy, beastly. Medieval. OMG I love, love this wine. Nobody will mistake this for anything but wild syrah from the Northern Rhone region. (93 pts.)

A tremendous QPR at around $55.

I ordered a mixed case today of 04 (mags), 05, 07 and 09. I was that impressed.

I accidentally ordered this one twice, since I forgot to put the first order in CT. I am very happy about that mistake. The 09 is fantastic as well, I added to my stash of that during the Astor Wines holiday sale.

I recently got a chance to taste through both La Chavaroche and Les Journaries vintages 2005-10. The 2010 Chavaroche was easily the best. Packed and stacked.

Packed and stacked for sure. My only issue (not a criticism, just a statement of opinion on time) is it’s a 15+ year wine. So I only ordered 4. I will try another in 2020.

This is what the 2011s are for: something to drink while waiting for the 2010s.

Btw, IMO, each and every vintage of Chavaroche from 2005-10, with the exception of 07, was pretty awesome. The 07 was a bit weaker than the others.

Martin relayed your thoughts on '07. CT notes from folks like Levenberg were pretty high on this vintage for Levet. I pulled the trigger on some on a flyer, so what are your thoughts on it? I certainly loved the '07 Allemands. Have not seen the '11 offered yet.

Thanks for the note, Robert. I was thinking about popping one tonight.

Michael

I’ve found lots to like in pretty much every recent vintage of Levet, but I’ve also found that when a Levet appears to suck, it’s totally meaningless, just throw it in the back of the cellar.

Robert,

Your enthusiastic note is admirable, but it’s public nature is mostly unappreciated.

tw

Seconded.

Fine for those of us that like this style of wine. If other vintages drink like the 2010, this is not a broad appeal wine. I doubt I would recommend it to anyone whose palate I did not understand and certainly would not bring it to a dinner party, partly cause I’m gonna horde my little stash!

I only meant weaker in context – all were very nice wines indeed.

I remember first tasting 98-01 Levet at the Ampuis Marche in 03. Not a very popular table as some felt the wine smelled like an outhouse and claimed his cellar was full of brett. In more recent vintages he’s “cleaned up” and while the wines are still wild as you inferred, they are old schooled, for sure, compared to most of the Cote Rotie out there.

Robert; A very interesting note as I was drinking the Levet Cote Rotie back in 1985. At that time, I really enjoyed the style but found his bottles to be very variable. Sometimes, that wild, meaty, savage character was apparent but under control. Other times, it was too much for me. For that reason, I have not purchased this producer for a long time. Your note makes me think it may be time for a revisit.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

Thanks for that interesting history on the estate, Marshall and Everett. This wine exhibited an animalistic/bretty hint but it blew off a bit after some aeration, though still gamey. I’m guessing he’s gotten “cleaner” than those prior years, but it’s still rustic. I like that, but then again, I also like Joguet, Raffault and Guion. So for the readers, YMMV!

And I am sure only you could appreciate its finer, ahem, qualities. [thankyou.gif]

Cannot be as bad as Burgaud, eh?

Shhhh…these secrets are rare. It’s best to enjoy them before they hit a Benji…