Opening Amoureuses for Valentine's? (If not, what?)

We are opening a baby, 2007 Drouhin.

(Edited:title)

I can’t tell if you are asking specifically (and exclusively) about Amoureuses, or a more broad question about V-Day wine selections, but I will barrel ahead anyway.

We were going to open an 2002 Grange, but folks on here seem to be advising against that, so it might be a 1990 Williams-Selyem Rochioli Vineyard instead.

I like the Amoureuses idea! :slight_smile:

2008 Bertheau Amoureuses for us. Perfect wines for the occasion!

Calon Segur - the wine with a heart on the label!

2012 Zilliken Rausch Auslese

Champagne, probably rose, with lobsters.

I would put quite a lot of money on the unimprovability of the Drouhin tonight.
Saint Amour and stuffed calves’ hearts here.

Hi Brady. I’d be interested to hear how the Drouhin was drinking, if you did open it.

Cheers, Howard

We’ve got the ‘98 Monprivato, ‘99 Poggio Antico Altero and 2005 Fevre’ Preuses lined up (wish us luck on the Fevre’).

[cheers.gif]

Please post a note on the 98 Monprivato. I was thinking of opening one last weekend but didn’t get around to it.

Charmes.

Several to choose from in Burgundy.

Delamotte BdB

Howard, it was very good. I suspect that it had a little less fruit than if we tried it a year ago, but it was still on the red side of the spectrum with a savoury complexity, and a little more body than the young village Chambolles we usually drink. If blind, I would have guessed 2008.

I am interested by Tom’s statement above. Does it mean the Drouhin will only go downhill from here? Or that it be the finest wine in the thread? Or something else entirely? Knowing that Amoureuses is one vineyard he prefers young, I’d bet on the first explanation.

It’s good old too, the 85 Drouhin stands out as one of the very finest wines I have tasted, but its ‘Amoureuses’ soubriquet probably applies only to the young wine.

Thanks Brady, interesting.

Howard

2002 Mugnier Amoureuses was lovely last night.

2006 Domaine Louis Jadot Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Amoureuses

This was one of those WOW wines that makes you glad you cellar Burgundy. Floral, spicy nose. Red and dark pinot fruit on the palate with full mid-palate and balancing acidity and just when I was ready for a somewhat tannic finish, it all melts into pure silk. So smooth and so long on the back end. Don’t know why I only bought 2 of these, I usually by 3 to 6, but wish I had a case. Absolutely ready now but I’ll hold this last bottle for 5 to 10 to see what this will become.

Brady,
Thanks for throwing out this idea, I probably wouldn’t have picked this bottle for Valentine’s Day, but it was perfect.

Cheers!