Virtual Tasting Series XII - The Loire

It being Thursday, I have taken the baton from Berto for this week’s Virtual Tasting Series. The theme for VTS XII is wines from the Loire Valley in France. Red or white, from anywhere in the Loire, doesn’t matter. I don’t have a note ready yet – been shoveling snow all day today – but at this point I strongly desire a glass of wine and will post a note later today.

The charity I will support is a non-profit called Neighbor Ride, Inc. The demographics of Howard County, Maryland, where I live, have been changing rapidly over the past few decades. The population is growing older, and many residents here are aging in place. The challenge here is that there are very few “walkable” neighborhoods. Residents who are no longer capable of driving have difficulty with basic things like shopping for groceries, going to the pharmacy, and getting needed medical care. Neighbor Ride recruits volunteer drivers and dispatches them to residents who call requesting a ride to the grocery store, pharmacy, doctor’s office (or anywhere else they need to go). The beneficiaries of Neighbor Ride credit the organization not only with helping them to obtain the necessities of life, but also with enabling them to avoid becoming shut-ins.

I will donate $10 to Neighbor Ride for every tasting note posted between now and next Thursday. Please help to make sure this is an expensive week for me. It is for a good cause.

[cheers.gif]

I like your cause. I have become the “go-to” driver for an elderly lady in my church to transport her to and from Tuesday afternoon ladies’ Bible study and Sunday church services. Occasionally I take her to the grocery store but she has a neighbor that takes her to doctor’s appointments. It is a needed service. I have two opened bottles to finish (a Riesling and a Cab) but will probably open a Sancerre Blanc on Sunday or Monday.

gotta be Burgundy (Thursday) tonight at my place but you pay starting tomorrow!
Nice charity and nice theme Brad

2011 Breton Bourgeiul Trinch! Bought about a case of this for $11 per, a steal. However, this wine has shown incredible bottle variation. Some have overwhelming brett, some seemed rather mute. This was one of the good ones. Pretty berry fruit with graphite and lots of mineral underneath. Crisp refreshing cab franc that is totally gulpable. Good amount of sediment so stand these.

Looks and sounds like a worthy charity, I will be eager to participate with a Muscadet on the weekend.

Looking for wines from Loire Valley in your cellar? Click on the link below.

And here is your cellar summarized by varietal if you’d like to hunt that way.

Thank you for the early words of support for this week’s charity. I am looking forward to reading your notes in the coming weeks. Here is the tasting note I promised earlier today:

2008 Dom. Huet Vouvray Le Mont Demi-Sec: Pale in the glass with bees wax, honey and a hint of wet wool on the nose. In the mouth the wine is lean and racy, with notes of citrus, honey, slate and the same subtle wet wool (in a positive way), followed by a reasonably long, persistent finish. This is a pleasant drink, and I would guess this wine could cellar for a very long time. I just wonder if it is in a slightly closed state at the moment, as prior bottles have made a bigger impression. I’ll leave my remaining bottles alone for a few years.

Bitchen. Where do I start? Baudry, Huet, Crochet, Chidaine. I think I may pop a vessel in my head I am so excited. [worship.gif]

Great idea and cause, Brad.

Me too. I practically wet myself!!! champagne.gif

[OK - not. God I wish I wasn’t such a provincial hayseed]

Naudine is in the fridge for valentines day.

My only Loire.

gonna be an expensive week for Brad
Baudry tomorrow
then there is Muscadet, QdC etc.

(although Sunday is my day to stick to FM3) neener

EDIT–when HRH says that she may cry when she finishes the last sip of her Chablis, I run to the Eurocave.
(from 375)

• 2005 Domaine des Baumard Quarts de Chaume - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Quarts de Chaume (2/13/2014)
    I like it but it is in a very strange place right now. Dark, sweet stewed fruits on the nose, but on the palate it is all tropical caramelized banana, guava and spiced creme brulee. There is also a little wild grape (Muscodine maybe?) in the background. Waxy honeycomb and a hint of melon enters the party after a few minutes. The acidity is still holding its own, making this a marvelous wine for food or just for the end of the evening. I plan to save some of these for 20+ years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Great! Bring it on.

see edit above [cheers.gif]

2009 François Chidaine Vouvray Le Bouchet - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray (2/13/2014)
Dried pineapple, apricots, honey and a note of green herbs on the mouth watering nose. The palate is medium to full bodied with hints of banana, clover honey, and again a savory note that is hard to put my finger on. Nice acid and medium lenght finish. Missing just a bit of something in the mid palate. Delicious nonetheless.

Posted from CellarTracker

The 2010 is a real favorite of mine, but, but, you better be prepared for acid, rocks. Stone fruits, yes, but this is a chiseled wine. If the Warden doesn’t like it, please, don’t mention my name. flirtysmile

Oh, it’s the Ken Kesey of wine. Loaded with acid.

She’s been forewarned. We are doing mussels, clams, and other creatures from the deep sea with a nice artisan bread. Butter will be predominate.

I did wet myself after popping this beaut!

2005 Domaine Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux
Old world all of the way. This wine screams earth, mineral and dark fruit. So pure and clean only the way Baudry can produce. Some might call it bretty, but i call it lovely. I really like this wine and seems like it will age and evolve in cellar for many more years.

Glad I have many bottles of this left, good to have a great go to wine when in the mood. I really love the wines of the Loire and will be digging around in the depths of cellar for the next week.

Opened my second and last bottle of the Muscadet 2002 Origine (10 yrs on the lees) and not much variation on bottle #1, maybe some salty tones I missed first time.

2002 Domaine Haut-Bourg Origine, Cotes de Grandlieu.

I remember a very nice `01 from the Choblet family. Diam-type cork? 12% alc, $22 Cdn.

Medium lemon in color, no gold at all.
More floral and fruit than sea shells on the nose. Still very bright tones here and appealing with its vibrancy. "Quite peach forward’ from across the table.
Entry is quite off-dry, orange and peach. Some very nice citrus and pineapple on mid-palate. Very good acidity, creamy, long appealing finish. No teeth-enamel removal here folks.
The minerality shows up better if served not too chilled. Nice with roasted pork tenderloin.

Great notes, Bob, sounds brilliant. My turn - I couldn’t resist opening a Huet this week:
Huet Le Mont Sec 2005
The last time I tried it, two years ago, it wasn’t quite ready. I think it still needs another year or two but the progression since 2012 is quite impressive. Quince, citronnelle and acacia aromas, with a sweet, ripe attack of pear and citrus fruits, then a touch of peach but mainly waves of deep honey. A wave of acidity lifts the middle section in the usual Huet way, before a long, luxuriant finish. Exceptional. 96 pts

Nice to see the Sec 2005 mentioned here Julian as I purchased two bottles recently at a discount price of $35 Cdn.