TN 2005 Sanctus St Emilion, Bordeaux, France

I have read a few fine reviews on this wine here and there and thought I would give it a swirl from a .375. Decanted one hour. I have been drinking up a lot of my older Cal cabs and merlots and was in the mood for something a little more refined.
headbang Err, not. This wine is a luxury cuvee from a parcel at the Bienfaisance vineyard in St Emilion. The wine is black purple, huge structure and tannins that are thoroughly dominating the fruit at this point. There is some dark blueberryish fruit there but essesntially masked by a solid, never ending wall of tannins. I will decant the remainder of this wine, but at this point believe it was a wasted effort and opened far too early for my enjoyment. [dontknow.gif]
After 3 plus hours decanted, the bouquet has opened nicely. Violets, camphor and very dark fruits. The palate is still too restrictive and not forthcoming, although the quality of the fruit from the merlot is obvious. This will be a very good bottle of wine with some time. Today is not yet that time.

Opened this wine tonight expecting to dislike it. The OWC had been sleeping in the cellar since the futures delivery. The cork split in half, disintegrated and most of the pieces took the plunge. Perhaps the filtering and double decanting was all for the good. There’s still a ton of structure and no sign of that fading…yet it’s approachable without triggering any hostility. A big wine with a healthy dose of primary dark fruit and layers of of ink, iodine and tertiary leather. I was worried about the wood. There’s plenty, nevertheless…sometimes there’s a time and a place. In this particular case, it’s working to convince the tannins to play nice. I’d consider this Sanctus to be barely entering its drinking window and doubt it’ll slow down for 10 - 20+ years. Not unhappy to have more bottles in the basement.

RT

I think I have a bottle or two, but have never tried them

These notes don’t really seem that enticing though

Arv, it depends on expectations. Mine were low and were exceeded. It’s tasty, pleasing and assertive. You won’t be happy if you’re looking for restrained and elegant.

RT

Wow, a TN on an ultra-modernist Bordeaux?? Who kidnapped Rich Trimpi and stole his WB log on ID :sunglasses:

Bizarre isn’t it? Maybe my palate’s Parkerizing.

RT