Marchand-Grillot? Anyone??

Anyone know or hopefully have tasted this producer. Virtually nothing on CT, not much on this board using search. Little commentary on Google, etc. Seems to have good holdings (Ruchottes Chambertin among others). Insider find or bad juju??

Made great 2012s Peter. I didn’t taste Ruchottes, but their CG 1er Perrières is to die for…

Bill, thanks very much. Should have checked your site first, just did and thanks for the notes. Any thoughts on '09s and '10s? Assumed given your positive comments on the '05 village “100 year” vines one, and good feelings about '12, you’d think they’re a safe bet for some '09s and '10s?

I don’t know ‘how good’ they have been in tricky vintages Peter, but it would be safe to assume that (at the very least) they are very good fair-weather winemakers :slight_smile:

Just to clarify, do they own any Ruchottes ?

I visited them in the mid naughties and they were investing in winemaking facilities. I bought a few 2005 and 2006 (including the Gevrey “en songe” village for obvious reasons) which, so far, have not been that good, but maybe the change in generation and the change in facilities has led to improvements. Don’t know from when this became very good fair-weather as Bill is saying).

I ordered a few as a test. Gonna pop all corks and see what’s in there (the '09s and '10s). Will report back…

Well, I haven’t tasted one since I bought some to cellar Antoine, but having tasted the 05s on release I sought out more, I’ve the following in the cellar, but no plans to return before 2020…

Gevrey-Chambertin Jouise
Gevrey-Chambertin Champerriers Cuvée Centenaire
Gevrey-Chambertin 1er, Petite Chapelle
Gevrey-Chambertin 1er, Perrières

I ordered one each of the '09 and '10 Ruchottes Chamb and the GC Champerrieres. Gonna open all 4 within the next 2 weeks and will report back results. Would be nice to find a ‘relatively’ inexpensive source of some quality Burg (but so unlikely!!)

You never reported back!

Both the Ruchottes and the Champerrieres VV have been very good.(2009 and 2010). The champ in particular has performed well for village wine in my view. Bought quite a few when they were available. Have not seen this producer again in the US again.

Huh. I have no idea! I looked in CT, don’t have these either in my current inventory or consumed inventory. No memory of buying these or not, tasting them, etc. Where did the 6 years go??

I had the 2010 Au Velle years ago, and it was super pure, classic, crunchy and super enjoyable. If I saw them on a shelf, I’d grab out of curiosity to see if they were still the same quality. Issue is, they aren’t around much!

Most of those 09’s & 10’s likely came from VDLT as I was not aware of anyone else bringing them in. Last I heard, Angel’s Share was importing but Winesearcher shows nothing since 2015. Maybe they are going mostly to restaurants.

What I tasted through 2010 vintage is in agreement with the few comments here. The Perriéres Gevrey 1er cru was for me the standout but I enjoyed the Ruchottes and the village wines, including the 100 year old vine Champerrier. Still have some.

Definitely try if you find.

I tasted the 2018s in November and was impressed - 1er Cru Petite Chapelle outstanding, Champerrier vieilles vignes and Ruchottes plus most of the village cuvees very good