2005 Bourgogne Rouge tasting

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by todd waldmann » January 27th, 2014, 7:49 pm

Last night a small group of us got together to taste 20 different Bourgogne from the heralded 2005 vintage.

All wines were tasted blind.

Not surprisingly, the quality of the wines was quite high, with no poor wines in the bunch.

Most were stil very young, but surprisingly approachable.

Highlights:

Truchot: The consensus favorite. Incredible balance, with bright red fruit & fine grained tannins. Plenty of structure. Lots of finesse.

Lucie & Auguste Lignier: subdued nose, subtle earth tones. Bright cherry on the nose. Very pretty.

A. & P. de Villaine: among the most primary wines of the evening. Substantial tannins. Serious wine in need of time.

Gavignet (Hautes Côtes de Nuits): bright red fruits, fine, substantial tannins. Lovely acid.

Mugneret-Gibourg: high-toned sweet fruit, velvety mouthfeel. Great lift. Balanced.

Maume: Very refined. Wonderful mouthfeel. Velvety tannins. Weightless. Very classy.

Bachelet: Very primary. Red fruits. Substantial tannins. Young. Perhaps the most structured wine of the night. On night 2 (the only wine I tasted on night 2), this is very pretty, but serious.

I was surprised by the elegance of the Maume. I have very little experience with this producer, but I know the reputation is that the wines are rustic. This Bourgogne was all about elegance, likely my second favorite, after the Truchot. I'm happy to have several of these in my own cellar, including the Truchot, Lignier, Mugneret-Gibourg & Bachelet.

In general, the tasting confirmed all my previous thoughts about the '05 vintage: it's a great wine, but the wines need lots of time. I will probably give it another 5 years before starting to dive into my bottles of Bourgogne. They will live much longer than that
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Mike During

#2 Post by Mike During » January 27th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Thank you for the notes. I have had a lot of pleasure drinking wines at this level on many many occasions. I am with you on the Bachelet and hope it comes around. Cheers Mike
"Mike has hit a new low-water mark... I will, however, send Todd a generic indignant PM on my way out, just for good measure." - Barista Bill

john stimson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by john stimson » January 27th, 2014, 9:59 pm

Which other ones did you taste?

Tom Blach

#4 Post by Tom Blach » January 28th, 2014, 12:14 am

A very interesting tasting, I too would like to see what else you opened. Does anyone share my only partially formed perception that vinification of these wines since 05 has generally pursued more immediate drinkability?

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by todd waldmann » January 28th, 2014, 8:32 am

I don't have my notes with me, so I don't recall everything we tasted.

Lafarge: lean & angular. by report it was much improved the second day

Michel Magnien: nicely balanced; mushrooms, red fruit.

Dominique Mugneret: plush & soft; very enjoyable; probably the least structured wine of the night

Arlaud: decent, but didn't stand out for any reason

Domaine des Croix, Camille Giroud & Barthod were all poured, & all were enjoyable enough, but I don't recall any specifics
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

maureen nelson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by maureen nelson » January 28th, 2014, 9:45 am

I just drank my last bottle of 05 barthod and it was excellent, fwiw.

jcoley3

#7 Post by jcoley3 » January 28th, 2014, 9:47 am

todd waldmann wrote: In general, the tasting confirmed all my previous thoughts about the '05 vintage: it's a great wine, but the wines need lots of time. I will probably give it another 5 years before starting to dive into my bottles of Bourgogne. They will live much longer than that
Thanks for the notes, Todd. I have been fighting to stay away from some Truchot and Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgognes - this will steel my resolve!
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

todd waldmann
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by todd waldmann » January 28th, 2014, 10:04 am

jcoley3 wrote:
todd waldmann wrote: In general, the tasting confirmed all my previous thoughts about the '05 vintage: it's a great wine, but the wines need lots of time. I will probably give it another 5 years before starting to dive into my bottles of Bourgogne. They will live much longer than that
Thanks for the notes, Todd. I have been fighting to stay away from some Truchot and Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgognes - this will steel my resolve!
I have a case of each (well, eleven now, technically.....) & plan on holding both. They both have tremendous upside.

Jonathan Favre

#9 Post by Jonathan Favre » January 28th, 2014, 4:30 pm

Great tasting TW!! The Truchot and M-G wines sound delish.

frederik boivin

#10 Post by frederik boivin » January 28th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I have not touched any 2005 yet...

Nick Gangas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Nick Gangas » January 28th, 2014, 6:52 pm

I've been trying to find the Truchot Bourgogne but its rarer than hens teeth.

Fred Daniels

#12 Post by Fred Daniels » January 28th, 2014, 8:32 pm

What a great idea. Maybe we can do something like this later this year at an offline. I have de Montille and Roty and a couple of others and it would be fascinating to get a picture of the vintage from these.

I just remember trying a Roty a year or so ago and it tasted like tannic water. Closed down HARD.
MWM seeks '28 Coutet...

Jack Linden

#13 Post by Jack Linden » January 28th, 2014, 10:50 pm

Thanks for the notes. My two cents': If it's still possible to find the '05 Patrice Rion Bourgogne Les Bons Batons anywhere, run, do not walk, and get as much of it as you can. Blind, you'd swear you're drinking Chambolle (which is where the vines are).

jcoley3

#14 Post by jcoley3 » January 28th, 2014, 11:41 pm

Tom Blach wrote:A very interesting tasting, I too would like to see what else you opened. Does anyone share my only partially formed perception that vinification of these wines since 05 has generally pursued more immediate drinkability?
Tom,

To be clear, you mean the appellation in generic terms, yes?
Jim Coley ITB

"So I say, like Ortega y Gasset, that when a lot of people agree on something, it's either a stupid idea or a beautiful woman." - Alvaro Mutis

"You could spend a lot more money, and not get a better Burgundy...” - Carlo Rossi

Michae1 P0wers
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Michae1 P0wers » January 29th, 2014, 4:45 am

Had a Meo-Camuzet the other day at a wine bar. It was stellar right off the pnp. I looked to see if any were still in the market, but sadly found none.

Ian Fitzsimmons

#16 Post by Ian Fitzsimmons » January 30th, 2014, 7:41 am

Which Villaine bottling were you tasting?

Efrain Rodriguez

#17 Post by Efrain Rodriguez » February 3rd, 2014, 12:16 pm

Curious how long the '05 Bourgognes will live for if you are opening 13yrs after the vintage. Based on your experience how long could one cellar 2010 Bourgognes, over 10yrs? Do you get the same benefits from mature Bourgogne as you would from PCs and Villages?

D. Wirsig
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by D. Wirsig » February 3rd, 2014, 1:14 pm

I just had a 2006 Meo-Camuzet Bourgogne over the weekend and it was still very young and primary.
Dan

Rick Dalia

#19 Post by Rick Dalia » February 3rd, 2014, 1:21 pm

Efrain, as with anything else, it depends on producer. I've had fine examples of 15+ year old Bourgognes from Roty, Arlaud, Mortet. OTOH Anne Gros' hasn't shown as well for me but these were bought on secondary market (young, though, I think her Bourgogne Rouge is absolutely one of my favorites!).

And yes, the rewards can be every bit as satisfying as village and 1ers

Efrain Rodriguez

#20 Post by Efrain Rodriguez » February 3rd, 2014, 1:34 pm

Rick Dalia wrote:Efrain, as with anything else, it depends on producer.
Specifically I am considering producers such as Barthod, Cathiard, Lafarge, Chevillon from the 2010 & 2012 vintage.

David Henry

#21 Post by David Henry » June 11th, 2014, 5:42 pm

I opened the 2005 Ghislaine Barthod Bons Batons Bourgogne Rouge tonight. A superb bottle of entry level Red Burgundy that is open for business and is very fresh and invigorating with excellent depth, concentration and complexity. I'll try to hold off for another couple years on my remaining bottles because I think it will develop further to the upside, which is pretty impressive for a Red Burgundy at this level.

A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by A. So » June 11th, 2014, 8:09 pm

The Truchot '05 rouge is an awesome bottle. Punches way above its humble designation. Too bad it's a unicorn.
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

A Songeur

#23 Post by A Songeur » June 11th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Tom Blach wrote:A very interesting tasting, I too would like to see what else you opened. Does anyone share my only partially formed perception that vinification of these wines since 05 has generally pursued more immediate drinkability?
Very true! Especially with 2005. Grivot Bourgogne 2005 still too young by a margin, recent vintages can be drunk immediatly.

Barthod 2005 still delicious and will be for more years.

More immediate drinkability, a bit less oak, a bit more stems, a bit more residual CO2 with a bit less SO2 (for reds only), generalisation of triage, less intervention in the cellar seem to be recent trends. All about vinification.
Trends with regard to viticulture: move towards organic and biodynamic, horses to plough for top terroirs...
Others?
Also, one should note that administration encourages adoption of best practices which means that "stars" practices tend to spread around to lesser producers (at least those eager to learn).
Price differentials between stars and others also encourage investment in new facilities (gravity versus pumping, hygiene,...)
It seems to me that more and more producers are putting their acts together.
Antoine

Peter Chiu

#24 Post by Peter Chiu » June 12th, 2014, 5:32 am

Antoine....yes - very true. [cheers.gif]

Arv R

Re: 2005 Bourgogne Rouge tasting

#25 Post by Arv R » September 15th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Last couple of nights I've been trying to finish a glass or two of the 2005 Domaine Viviane & Jean-Marie Lelievre "Les Larrets" [Bourgogne Hautes Côtes de Nuits]. Cork looks good, fill is high, label nice etc. But this 12.75% abv is lean and hard, and gets worse with air. Lots of acid, little fruit, and tannins are gone. Light sediment, light bodied, ruby orange rims. Pretty disappointing. Even though a small wine, I thought it might still be ok to drink. I guess I'd give it a C; maybe it was better younger. An 05 Leroy bourgogne was pretty good last year, although I realize different plane of quality.

I hardly ever pour out sound wines, but this one is going in the sink :(
R_@_0

James Billy

#26 Post by James Billy » September 16th, 2020, 1:19 am

A Songeur wrote:
June 11th, 2014, 11:54 pm
Very true! Especially with 2005. Grivot Bourgogne 2005 still too young by a margin, recent vintages can be drunk immediatly.

Barthod 2005 still delicious and will be for more years.

More immediate drinkability, a bit less oak, a bit more stems, a bit more residual CO2 with a bit less SO2 (for reds only), generalisation of triage, less intervention in the cellar seem to be recent trends. All about vinification.
Trends with regard to viticulture: move towards organic and biodynamic, horses to plough for top terroirs...
Others?
Also, one should note that administration encourages adoption of best practices which means that "stars" practices tend to spread around to lesser producers (at least those eager to learn).
Price differentials between stars and others also encourage investment in new facilities (gravity versus pumping, hygiene,...)
It seems to me that more and more producers are putting their acts together.
Antoine, I just saw this post. I hope you are right. Sounds completely reasonable. Hope you're right!

James Billy

#27 Post by James Billy » September 16th, 2020, 1:32 am

How about BR 2009 (next best vintage after 2005)?

Return to “Wine Talk”