TN: 2004 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale

• 2004 Jacques-Frédéric Mugnier Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Clos de la Maréchale - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (1/26/2014)
    Great drinking now. The green has evolved into something more along the lines of sous bois which is what I expected. Texturally very elegant in a Chambolle Musigny way being a lighter Mugnier style. Very well liked by a group of non-wine geek people. Anyone else had it recently?(92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Hi Mike,

Had the Musigny a while ago, it was quite nice, only a hint of green.

I kept my Mugnier '04’s, think they might turn out ok…

Sous bois, huh?
Last of the 4 bottles I’ve had have tasted like shit, and not in the good way.

Sounds like you live in a shithole where everything smells of shit.

It does rather. Thank you for the note, Mike. I never cease to be amazed that the subject of 04 burgundy attracts such remarkable personal rudeness. It is only wine and it seems to me that Mr. S owes you an apology.

Was served (blind) a 2004 Mugnier Fuees a few weeks ago and it was quite green and easily picked out as a 2004. Some at the table thought it was still decent but I couldn’t get past the greenness.

Ignoring the above ( I’ve already outed myself as someone who likes some of the '04).
I opened an '06 of the same wine this weekend. I thought it an intriguing unique wine; it did not always fully come together (maybe the bottle, I have a couple more?), but when it did, it was memorable. To me, it seemed ready to drink, but others may be more familiar with the trajectory of these.

T.N: Lovely light purple color, slight bricking around the rim;
Beautiful nose: forest floor, red fruits, spice, dust. The attack is strong, fruited, then tangy, almost citrus, enveloped by sous bois. Overall very light on its feet. Initially the
finish was a little thin, and to me, though not my partner, a little mouth puckering. After further air, it modulated into a distinctive whole, a particular gestalt, different from any other pinot I have tasted. Terroir? Winemaker? Both?

Again, if this bottle is any indication, I would drink now, rather than hold.

Sorry to so direct, mates, but this was one of the meanest, greenest wines I’ve ever had, and did have sewage-like tendencies. I don’t care what you call it and glad Mike had one that showed little of this character but I was not so lucky with my bottles. If I have a bad bottle of something, I call it out.

Markus, when did you have the last of your bottles?

I have had this wine 4 times in the last several years. Most recent bottle was in late 2012. Each and every one has been a miserable, green mess.

Is there a previous vintage 15+ yrs old that was similar to 04 and still shows such GM’s?

That is over 12 months ago, the wine is at a different stage…

Wow. I thought that someone was just expressing an honest opinion. Rude? I don’t think so.

Pardon my bluntness, but bullsh**.

WOW, so you don’t think wine evolves, if any have it is the 04’s over the last year or so. Take a look at the TN’s on cellartracker and the BS seems to be in your court.

Mike, I think Markus and David maybe correct.

I had this wine last Friday - it can be spotted as 2004, blind, from quite some distance.
But my cellar is quite cool so it probably hasn’t evolved! I’m glad the Musigny was cheaper back then, as that wine was much worse on release…

Peoples’ mileages vary…

It’s fine to express honest opinions but rudeness seems to me highly inappropriate.
Bottles evolve at different speeds in different places, it was ever thus. I haven’t much liked this wine myself in the past, a cursory look at Faiveley’s superb 2004 NSGs suggests that the vineyard might have done better in this vintage had it not changed hands.

But Wayne you wouldn’t know because you have not tasted it.

Also '04’s seem to vary from bottle to bottle a lot as to their GM ness…

Open one one day, it seems almost ok, open another bottle, and down the sink it goes.

I think I need to check this against the bio dynamic moon cycle… [snort.gif]