"Robert Parker has a cold"

If you are familiar with the Gay Talese’s journalistic magazine article ‘Frank Sinatra has a cold’ that ran in Esquire’s April 1966 issue, you may realize that my correlation between Old Blue Eyes and the Golden Palate only goes as far as how a man can move a market. Be it entertainment or wine, it’s an interesting take on Parker’s abilities, and the possibility of those abilities waning as he ages.

It’s not to say I am comparing Parker to Sinatra based on fame or fortune, but more how the wine-world would, could and has acted when he sneezes, and excuse my blatant use of the metaphor, but we if you have been alert for the last bunch of years, you can’t help but realize the dude has moved the market immensely and in part has created the inertia that will certainly keep it moving. Like him or hate him, you can’t disagree. Or can you?

Sinatra with a cold is Picasso without paint, Ferrari without fuel – only worse. For the common cold robs Sinatra of that uninsurable jewel, his voice, cutting into the core of his confidence, and it affects not only his own psyche but also seems to cause a kind of psychosomatic nasal drip within dozens of people who work for him, drink with him, love him, depend on him for their own welfare and stability. A Sinatra with a cold can, in a small way, send vibrations through the entertainment industry and beyond as surely as a President of the United States, suddenly sick, can shake the national economy.

Phrased a different way: Would we even be here doing what we do at the level and quality that we do it in if he were never on the wine scene?
Please check your bashing at the door.
Cheers!

:slight_smile:

But…
A Parker thread without bashing…
…is like Sinatra with a cold! [snort.gif]

Rare. I know.

As I mentioned in an earlier thread I learned a lot from Parker when I subscribed back in the '80s. Back then he was keen on introducing people to such obscure regions as the Rhone and Jerez and an 88 was a really good score. I also admire his unabashed enthusiasm for the wines he likes.

We would still be here. It would be different. Better or worse? Take your pick. Wine and what it represents is greater than we know. And certainly far greater than one man.

You can pick instances where Parker scores caused bumps in prices. Beyond that, however, the impact is impossible to quantify. To speak in terms of gross dollar value of the global wine market is useless, because most wine is plonk that neither Parker nor anybody else reviews. What you might be able to do is analyze a minority of Bordeaux producers, probably a majority of Chateauneuf-du-Pape producers and a select bunch of high-end California wines (consistently Parker 95+) and figure out how many bottles of wine he may have actually had a hand in moving. Parker sub-90 scores have never moved much, and with score inflation, I am not sure his 90-95s move much anymore. Look at that, and you will find that his impact is/was significant among inhabitants of wine boards, and dominantly only for the wines listed above. The dollar value of those wines is a chunk of money, to be sure, but only a small slice of world wine sales. In supermarkets, Luca Maroni’s 99 on the Ruche will move the same amount of wine that a Parker 99 will. There have been a number of studies that demonstrate that, for those who are not educated in fine wine, shelf-talkers sell without regard to which reviewers’ names are on them. Most people just want the comfort of the high number.

The strongest argument in favor of Parker’s influence, which you suggest, Mike, is that, but for Parker AND OTHER WINE REVIEWERS (and you cannot always separate Parker’s influence from that of others these days), a certain segment of America’s wine-buying public would not have 6 maxed-out credit cards each. Then again, Parker is no longer required in order to max out credit cards. Joe Blow may have learned about, say, Beaucastel’s Hommage a Jacques Perrin from reading Parker back in the day. However, once Joe knows that wine and loves it, he will be looking only for a general indication of vintage quality in order to buy it over and over again. With specialty cuvees like that one, which dominate Chateauneuf-du-Pape the way that first-growths and super seconds dominate Bordeaux and mailing-list cult wines dominate California, it is never hard to figure out if it will be worth buying, because in most cases, special cuvees are only made in strong vintages.

Item last: there is no question that, without Parker back in the day, it is unlikely that California (and to a lesser extent, Oregon and Washington) would have been able to create and sustain the mailing-list business model.

I will stop right there, because any further analysis of his impact turns nasty in a hurry…

Perhaps some added context…
Parker rose from nowhere to Emperor of wine in the '80s & '90s. Those two decades were the greatest expansion of materialism in the history of man. The fuel was the combination of technological leaps and the baby boomer demographics. The expansion propelled much that could not be sustained, and even more that should not be sustained. We didn’t get far into this Century before the undoing began. And we wouldn’t have gotten as far as we did were it not that the Asian economies were and are going through the same cycle a decade or so in retard.
imo, it was neither the points nor the ‘hedonistic tour de force’ reviews that propelled Parker and changed wine. The core tenet of Parkerism is “it is solely what is in the glass that counts”. It ignores culture and context; and is the essence of materialism. He was locked into the driving force of the times. But the roots of wine are totally about culture and context. And we are now going back to those roots.

Interesting analysis, Bill.
I agree for the most part, but I also do not ignore that the catalyst for what most of the wine world these days is has been high scores, and yes, the shelf-talkers do wonders. If we remove Parker from the equation we are left with a void that I am not sure Hugh Johnson or Michael Broadbent could have filled with their 20 point scales. Like it or not, we find ourselves in a world where the hundred-point, post-1982-Bordeaux-bonanza-working-class-stiffs-trying-to-keep-up-and-well-to-do-doing-nicely exist. Curious where we would be without such a wall of influences. I am sure here, but what would here look like?

Cheers!

Never quite aggregated those metrics. There might be a lot of truth to that.

Best,

Kenney

Maybe Napa would still be a sleepy town that ‘oh yeah, we also make wine here’. The 12% ABV crowd could be happy again…

First of all, Mike, there is no reason to think that the void would not have been filled, to the extent that it even needed to be. All of the major wine publications are roughly contemporaries. Parker founded the predecessor of the WA in 1978, but had no real traction until around 1984. WS was founded by Bob Morissey in 1976 and bought by Shanken in 1979. Tanzer came along in 1985, and Wine Enthusiast in 1988. None of the foregoing were following Parker’s lead. There was not a lot to follow in the 1980s. The Brits had an audience at home, so I would expect them to be the last of any possible void-fillers, not the first. The “magic” of Parker was his gift of self-promotion, along with a wine population in the U.S. that was ready to embrace a guru to help them find an outlet for their disposable income. Had Tanzer been equally aggressive, he might well have blown Parker out of the water, because his palate is both broader and better. Had he been aggressive, there would have never been a place at the table for Burghound, since their Burgundy palates and understanding are virtually identical. Tanzer found Schildknecht well before Parker, and had the great Sheldon Wasserman handling Barolo, Barbaresco and Brunello is the early days. However, self-promotion was never his style, and his publication remained New York-centric for a very long time. Shanken has made a multiple of what Parker has made, but he did it with advertising and pay events, while we, when we were young and naive, bought Parker’s Ralph Nader schtick. (I do not think that the dude in California who Parker eclipsed with the 1982 Bordeaux scoop was headed anywhere, so far too much is made of that in the Parker urban mythology.)

Ask any major wine producer, ones who’ve been around for many years/decades…Like it or not there are two publications which have the biggest impact on sales. Wine Advocate and Wine Spectator.

The rest of the publications out there are negligible in comparison.

More trenchant words are rarely spoken (typed). And, along with the wine bubble, much carbon was (and is being) emitted…

If you want to learn a lot about wine you hang out with people who love wine and you drink a lot of it from all over the place. Reading what wine critics have written has done very little for me personally.

Parker has sold a ton of wine and has made it easier for novices to pick out a wine based solely on his score. I think there would still be high quality wine discussion going on today if he never existed.

I know it’s silly, but just to be correct: Hugh Johnson has a four star scale, Broadbent a five to six star scale. Man, how I love reading their notes on wines, producers and regions. Hugh Johnson turned me onto wine.

You learn a lot more from people who can actually write about wine than you do from those who robo-taste and sling points. That has been true the entire time of Parker’s rise and decline. It is just that not everybody is interested in learning about wine and tasting and making comparative judgments of their own. Dan McCallum is correct. It is symptomatic of conspicuous consumption in the Information Age. Thinking and reflecting just takes too damn much time…

Of course. I have some old Broadbent books volumes that make great reading. the world was very Eurocentric those days and Napa was just popping its head out thanks to another Bob who had been on the scene a very long time to carry that flame forward… Another story, another time.

Andy, it seems to me that only producers who are “discovered” or abandoned by WA or WS are in any position to opine on that. For a small number of others, maybe a shout-out gets more names on their mailing lists, as it did for SQN and the cult Cabs. For the rest, they sell their wine into a distribution system, and have no idea what sells the wine at the retail level

As far as the comparison goes, I never understood Sinatra’s appeal to anybody. There were far better singers around at the time so him with a cold would have been perfectly OK with me. Problem is that he was mostly about being a personality, much like a Kardashian is today, so we would still have heard him. I could never stand him and still turn him off instantly if he’s on some radio station.

Parker OTOH, actually served a purpose.

There were wine writers in the US but when Parker came along, the CA wine industry had just revived after being destroyed by Prohibition and Americans in the 60s and even 70s looked to France for all things sophisticated and tasteful. Parker spoke and wrote like a down-home American but he understood French wine, which at the time meant Bordeaux, so people were comfortable with him. The Ralph Nader thing really helped in marketing and that point was driven home by the Paris tasting.

All in all it was brilliant - ignore what the snobs are telling you is great. Taste blind and assign scores on merit. That was completely democratic and all-American.

As far as culture and context goes - what does that even mean? Very few people are French and own a Chateau in Bordeaux. I don’t think that means they can’t enjoy a Bordeaux wine in New York, or a California wine for that matter. Culture and context are fluid. What we like to imagine is a particular culture and context today is very different from what it was a few years ago.

Parker came along as American culture was changing. Don’t overlook the fern bars and the first usage of the term YUPPIE. Women were entering the workforce and the hard liquor guys were drinking at lunch wasn’t for them. that cultural shift was a big part of the rise of Chardonnay and of wine in general. A genial, fair-minded guy who proclaimed that he disdained advertising and commercial endorsements was just what people wanted as they started to explore the new world of wine. The WS became a lifestyle magazine for every arriviste to peruse, but Parker stayed focused on wine.

His influence however, was not on the mass of the population, which is where the comparison to Sinatra falls apart. Parker never had nearly the circulation that WS does. Most people don’t know who he is. His influence was at the top end of the business and on the merchants.

A shelf-talker can be anonymous. People buying based on those don’t know or care who the particular critic is. They think the talker is independent validation of a wine, unlike the suggestion of the store owner who has an interest in pushing product. The irony is that for that very reason, some stores just write their own shelf talkers. Parker has tried to broaden his appeal over the years - writing for Business Week and so on, but that never seemed to amount to much.

However, people who buy high-end stuff want to be sure that the other people who buy high-end stuff will be suitably impressed, so they hire guides. They hire people to buy art, to decorate their homes, to plan their parties, to suggest clothing, and to suggest wines.

The Bordeaux futures thing has only become huge recently. In years past it was mostly businessmen making deals and customers weren’t a major part of it. If dealers could tell their clients that “Parker gave this a 93,” their clients would nod knowingly and buy a few cases. Whoever this Parker was, he seemed important in the wine business so people buying cases of Bordeaux were happy to have his approval.

I remember stores in the 1970s and 1980s mentioning that Parker had scored this or that wine. Since Bordeaux was considered the “best” wine, and at the time was not priced like a Veblen good, Parker was associated with the best. That gave him additional credibility and enabled him to help out CA and especially the south Rhone and much later, Spain.

You can walk into any number of stores in NYC and see the WA laying around and that is the subscription base for the publication. I don’t have the figures obviously, but I would imagine that the retail customers who subscribed are probably members of this board or e-Bob. It’s just tedious reading going through hundreds of tasting notes for wines one is almost certain never to try. A retailer on the other hand, comes across a much wider range of wines than any customer does and wants to know about the scores. The WS is almost useless in that respect because the store owner doesn’t want to read about restaurants or various collectors and their livestyles.

After over 30 years, the US has matured as a wine-drinking nation. Both food and wine are better than ever and kids are growing up with wine knowledge that just didn’t exist years ago. So I don’t think there’s a need for another Parker these days and doubt that there will ever be another person of like influence because that role doesn’t exist any more.

Postscript : You can definitely tell the Parker influence if you’re an importer. The WA comes out and all the distributors call in orders in based on the scores. WS doesn’t have nearly the instant influence - you can tell by the ringing of the phone.

The only other publication that comes close, and this is extremely short-lived, is the NYT. A great review moves a lot of wine for a week.