Best online retailer to buy 375ml splits?

My wife and I have been finding ourselves drinking more splits lately with our 5 month old baby requiring our attention…are there any online retailers that specialize (or really just have a larger than normal inventory) in 375’s?

Haven’t used them, but halfwit wines sells only 375s.

I’m sure someone else will chime in, but I buy 375s quite a bit, especially when there’s only a nominal mark-up vs the 750 price (i.e., 2 375s don’t much exceed the price of a single bottle).

I’ve not found that one store specializes in them (I could be wrong) but I would go to whatever store(s) have a large selection of bottles that you enjoy and start there. Simply search for 375.

I have only used half wits once or twice, but really liked them a lot. I highly recommend them.

I’ve had good luck with these guys.

And K&L.

Novy also has a killer 375 size 2010 Santa Lucia Highlands Syrah for $10/bottle direct through the winery.

We keep clean 375s around, and when we open a 750, immediately pour off half into the clean bottle and vacuvin it. It will keep in the cellar for over a week like that, even longer in the fridge. For me this beats the price penalty that comes with half bottles.

For those who say the vacuvin does nothing, it’s a clean seal and that’s good enough for me.

…and since no one else has pointed it out yet, 375ml is not a split:

Woodland Hills has a number of them

Thanks for the head up on halfwitwines. Looks good. I am always on the look out for whites in half bottles. They also have pink wines as well. Bonus!

Half Wits pricing is pretty steep. The same Novy I mentioned for $10 direct they have for $22. Ouch.
Jaffurs is $20 and you can buy direct for $13.50.

It is confusing: the term “split” can mean either a 375 or a 187ml e.g., Wine Bottle Sizes | Explore Wine Bottle & Rack Dimensions for Different Types of Wine Racks - Wine Racks America. Just be sure to specify what you want when you order

A few years ago I placed my first and last order with half wit wines. They had a 50% off an Champagnes, ordered about 50 bottles. Guess what, most of them were cooked, about 80%.

To me, splits were always 187’s, and halves were 375’s.

That’s true for a lot of people – maybe even most people – but it isn’t true for all people, which is why I said that caution is well-advised.

Daniel Posner always has a large collection of 375’s. His website says 168.

Click Wine Search

Didn’t even know they made 187’s. That’s a communion glass!

I checked out halfwit…it did seem pricey. Quite the selection though. I’ll have to take a deeper dive to see if there are any hidden values.

Ouch, thanks for the head’s up.

Buy a Coravin and don’t limit your wine options. The device is exceptional!

Crush and Grapes (Posner) both come to mind. Its also a good format to drink young wines that you wouldn’t otherwise open in 750ml. I drink younger burgs (like 07,08,09,10) from 375’s.

I know there is some history between the owner and this board, but Rochambeau in Dobbs Ferry is running their annual sale and has a whole list of 375s.

Brad,

I don’t know where you live, but there a lot of small retailers who don’t sell on line that have a large supply of half bottles. Here in CA we are licensed as a bar and sell retail. We carry half bottles for the bar, but don’t always offer them online. First, they are the sh!ts to pack and ship. Most package material companies don’t offer styro shippers and boxes for 375s and those that do charge an arm and leg for them, so they wind up in standard shippers with extra bubble wrap. Check your local stores and ask. If you have something in mind, they may order it for you if it available.

Another good source is restaurants. Many carry half bottles that never sell. Ask the owner if he/she has any they want to get rid of. I used to get cases for 10 to 50 cents on the dollar in the old days, (80’s-90’s). Hmm. Now that I mentioned it, maybe I’ll check our local restaurants and build a stash at home.