TN: 06 Saxum Bone Rock, some Rhones, and an 04 Alsesia Syrah

2004 Alesia Syrah Chileno Valley
I know these have had a problem with Brett but this was the worst. Up until now, I have enjoyed these wines although they are not for everyone. This was pretty much undrinkable. I finished a glass (no one else could). I let it sit for a couple of days to no luck. I have one bottle left that I am a bit afraid to open but I will soon. No point in holding it. NR

2005 Tardieu Laurent Gigondas Vielle Vignes
Purple in color with some ruby hues. The nose is very nice with red and black raspberries, plums and spice. Full bodied. On the palate, this has black raspberries, plums and a nice mineral streak. Nice acidity. Overall a very good wine and for around $30, one that will be replacing many CdP’s that are now closer to $70. 50+4+12+17+7=90

2001 Alain Graillot Saint Joseph
Ruby/purple in color. The nose has black raspberries, grilled steak and pepper. Medium to full bodied. On the palate, the acidity is striking at the limit of balance. Black and red raspberries, some herbal notes, some pepper. A decent wine but, although I have friend who love this producer, it never seems to get there for me. 50+4+12+16+5=87

2007 Chapoutier Cotes du Rhone Belleruche
Ruby in color, mostly clear and bright. The nose is raspberries and cherries. Also some spice and olives. Medium bodied. On the palate, this has a rich texture. Ripe cherries and raspberries. Easy to drink. Nice finish. Another 07 CdR that I will lay down to drink over the next few years. 50+4+12+17+7=90

2006 Saxum Bone Rock
76% Syrah, 18% Mourvèdre, 6% Grenache. 16.7% Alc. The storm was coming in, so my family sat out on the front porch to watch. I wanted a hedonistic wine and this worked well. Purple in color with a thin line of magenta at the rim. Opaque and bright. The nose was port like with raspberries, cherries, iodine and also some grilled meats. On the palate, this is viscous with ripe fruit. Raspberries, cherries, black raspberries some menthol-like alcohol notes. Slightly warming. This wine is crossing over into port-like territory but I loved it. It is smooth, contemplative and goes down quite easily. Standing up after a few glasses was, however, difficult. While you may barely taste the alcohol, it is felt. This wine, obviously, needs a few years in the cellar. If you have a bunch, it is fun to test drive now. Do not operate heavy machinery though. The finish goes on forever. 50+4+14+19+10=97

Loren, with all the criticism for the heat, a critical scorer like you only took off 3 points from 100 on the Saxum? Was it really that good?

I am curious as I have some other Saxums and am itching to try!

Alex, this wine is almost port like in its heat. Drinking it, it was warming without being hot. The alcohol was noticeable on the nose but not unpleasant (again in a port like way). I am not sure how well this would go with food right now. I also think this will mellow over the next few years (based on a vertical this year tasting this wines back to 2000). Anyway, the wine was not out of balance IMO, but it is very yong tasting. I will check in again in a year or two and see. But for now, it was really enjoyable.