Burghound Issue 53: 2012 CDN burgundy

I feel like this has been the first time that the burghound has really gone in depth on a vintage comparison as he did with 2012. I really appreciate the discussion on it by him, seeing as 2012 pricing is so freaking expensive, it doesn’t make much sense for those of us that don’t get crazy euro release pricing to buy 2012 when we can backfill 2010 at nearly the same price. I really like the comparison to individual vintages, such as 2002.

For those that find what he wrote to be TL:DR, 2010, 2005 > 2012. Generally speaking not built to age as 05/10 and that 2012 are not “gotta have” wines. I know many of our european counterparts have tasted the 2012’s, so would love to here general comparisons and agreements/disagreements with issue 53

I think Côte de Nuits 12 has one or two peaks that are higher than 10 but on average very similar quality. Cote de Beaune way better than 10 - so on average for me 12 is better because I don’t just buy from Vosne and Gevrey…
[…only talking reds…]

Edit: Anyone want to step-up and analyse the average BH CdN scores for 10 vs the same for 12? :wink:

I didn’t buy much 2011, so if I can sit out 2012 (and likely 2013, from what I’ve heard), then that would give me a nice couple-year break to backfill…so, yay?

Anyone with experience on Chateau de la Tour Clos Vougeot Vielle Vignes?

Do you agree with his ratings on vintages post 99? 97 points for 05?

Based on my limited visits, I personally thought the wines tasted like 50/50 combo of the 09 and the 10, a bit more structure than the 09 and a bit sexier/more forward fruits than the 10. I find it interesting but debating whether, the 99, 05, 09, 10 and 12 is a futile exercise. The 12 Liger Belair La Romanee is a perfect wine for me.

Interesting comment he makes:

“So with all of these attributes, is 2012 a genuinely great vintage? In my opinion, no, it is not.”

First time I’ve heard someone say that!

Interesting article that also talks about backfilling. But in relation to other vintages.

http://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2014/01/burgundy-lovers-buying-up-back-vintages

I happen to just love the brightness of the 2010s. I just find these wines really attractive. I would agree from what I have tasted that 2010>2012, but as Kevin says you really have to look at individual wines. And, with 2012 prices, backfilling may be the best solution.

There’s Canadian Burgundy? neener

I tried the 2005 Vielles Vignes at Vin, Vino, Wine last November (2013). Allen must have gotten lucky, because what was poured in my glass was completely shut down, both aromatically and on the palate. It was still very primary, and more on the red-fruit side of the spectrum with some black fruits. It wasn’t particularly spicy on the nose and has definitely eaten all the oak it received. In terms of structure, I do recall that the mouthfeel was more velvety than silky and the balance impeccable, though I would caution that it had one hell of an acid spine that really kept the flavors in focus and firm (though not aggressive) tannins to boot. There’s no question that the potential for greatness is there, but my limited experience (I’m only 27) prevents me from accurately assessing whether or not this would justify a 97 point rating from Allen when it eventually peaks. In any event, it is extremely good and a lot cheaper that the 2010 Jean Morin (if you can find it), which I’m also looking forward to opening in the very distant future.

I also had the 2001 Vielles Vignes back in July 2011 and I recalled the nose as having a good dash of menthol to it. My experience with Chateau de la Tour is that they don’t make particularly seductive wines in their youth, compared to say the Clos Vougeot that Erwan Faiveley is making, but are nonetheless compelling because they demand a level of intellectual engagement and curiosity to appreciate.

Hope that helps.

what are people hearing about the 2014 vintage?

A tad early, no? [wink.gif]

So far, so good

I think it’s important to consider when one wishes to drink the wines. No sensible person would deny that 1999 is a far superior vintage to the two that followed it, yet anyone drinking the wines over the last ten years will have found infinitely more pleasure in 2000 and 2001, and anyone who has drunk all their wines from these three vintages over the last ten years will ruefully admit that the 99s were a waste of money. It is only those who wish to age their wines over twenty years or more who should seek out top vintages, if they want commensurate satisfaction from their money.

My thoughts after tasting some '12 this past December ('10s two years before) - backfill when you can with top notch '10s if the prices are right! Buy '12s if you can and also feel that you’re not being gouged.

Can’t really argue with that

Yes it does! Thanks!

It was coming around in 2011. Did you taste it next to other Burgundy? I thought the wine was impeccably made, especially for its power. But no point in drinking one of these within 10 years of vintage I think except to check up on it.

Sadly, I only had one bottle of this I picked up J.J. Buckley that I split with my brother. In retrospect, I should have waited to pop open the 2001, as 10 years truly isn’t enough for the way that Labet is making the VV, but there’s something to be said for opening bottles in the name of “research purposes.” Unfortunately, this wasn’t tasted side-by-side with any other red burgs, but it was served after a 1999 Georges Deleger Chevalier-Montrachet, which was stunning, particularly in consideration of the tariff.

I tasted the 2012’s at a few domaines ( including DRC and Faiveley ) . I think Allen is right : because of the prices , it’s not worth going the extra mile to find these wines . The wines are expensive because quantities are down , not because they are so fantastic . Bernard Hervet from Faiveley told me they are deceptively good but lack mid palate concentration . They are for the mid term drinking . Imo , 2010 is the real deal , both for red and white .