Last Thursday of the Month Tasting at Casa Sena

Yesterday afternoon we went to the last Thursday tasting at Casa Sena. It was sprinkling when we left home and started raining harder after the tasting started. Fortunate they had a canvas roof over the tasting area. We started with a 2008 Vietti Roero Arneis - bright fruit and good acidity, quite nice; then we had a 2005 Marc Deschamps Pouilly-Fumé ‘Les Porcheronnes’ - minerally fruit, ok acidity, and also enjoyable; next was a 2008 Alois Lageder Lagrein Rosé (the same wine we got from jack Vesey a couple weeks ago, and really enjoyed), nice fruit and enjoyable again; then I skipped the 2006 Pahlmeyer Chardonnay, since the last one I’d had was an oaky, overripe monster; next came the reds - first a 2007 Scott Paul Pinot Noir ‘Cuvée Martha Pirrie’ from the Willamette Valley - light, simple, but nothing wrong with it; next from the other side of the Pinot range, was a 2006 Talbott ‘Sleepy Hollow Vineyard’ from Santa Lucia Highlands - a low acid, bright fruit bomb (but still not my style); my last was a Saint Cosme multi-vintage ‘Little James’ Basket Press’ Rhône Grenache - ponderous, ripe red and black fruit, light acid and a medium finish. I also skipped the 2005 Pahlmeyer Napa Red - I’m also not fond of that.

Then we headed off to Nostrani Restaurante with Don Roberts for our Japanese tuna extravaganza. The rain had fortunately stopped by then.