Chicago, are you ready for a Cider Bar with 100 choices?

Posted here because Cider is more like wine than like Beer / Spirits:

Love cider, but no

• 1 David :slight_smile:

I love going to Bushwhacker Cider House in PDX with 280 ciders to choose from.

Cider’s fine, but I have always seen as a novelty and I haven’t kept up with the current movement and iterations… I should try a few to see what the modern cider is all about.

Any Reccos for broader market (readily findable) ciders?

no

This guy is the Giacosa meets Rayas of Cidre:

http://beauneimports.com/retail/producer_detail.php?producer_id=22

http://www.ericbordelet.com/

The Fountainhead bar/restaurant behind this has an amazing beer list, so I imagine the cider selection will be as deep and interesting as cider can possibly get.

disclaimer: it’s a short walk from my house, and I was pretty excited when I saw this on eater.

Roberto gets right to the chase Eric Bordelet is by far the king! Biodynamic grower, ex Paris Somm, good friend of the dearly departed Didier Dagueneau, did some time at Selosse! Keep in mind that French cider is typically sweet not over the top but has some RS unless noted.

If you like dry and tannic with body then look to English West Country. If you like funky and wild go to Basque cider. Two of my favorite producers are iSastegi, and Sarasola. My favorite domestic ciders are Snowdrift Cider and Eaglemount.

If you are looking for something more vinous get some Perry!

No. I’ve tried cider a number of times, and I just can’t get into the stuff. Sour beers, the same thing. I know a lot of people will love this, but…

I like the chef there very much and would probably go for the food (he has a great name - Cletus Friedman). His City Provisions was one of my favorite food shops in Chicago before he closed it last year. But 100 ciders? Still no.

I think they are ahead of the market on this one

Etienne Dupont is pretty widely available (it shows up a lot of places in Chicago, anyway).

I’ll check this place out when it opens. I’ve always liked funky ciders with food. Cider (served in bowls for some reason) with the beef-bourguignonn crepe at Le Creperie is (was - they’ve since closed) one of my favorite winter meals.

I apologize for the thread drift, but what’s the ageability of cider? Do certain types evolve or even improve with time in bottle, or do they remain stable or degrade in quality/taste over time? I see plenty of Bordelet bottles and the like on the shelves of my LWS that seem to sit there forever collecting dust. I’m wondering how age has affected them (either beneficially, negatively, or not at all).

Le Creperie just reopened, Ryan. The son died suddenly and the father reopened it last week, I believe.

Thanks David. It’s a sentimental favorite for Michelle and me.

I’m glad to see this thread. I love properly made cider, and if I ever get to Chicago, I know where my first stop will be…

Interesting concept and I wish them well. I’m sure I’ll check it out, but cider is not my thing.

Cider is nice, but high quality mead is more interesting and diverse.

I had a Basque cider over the wknd - Zabala was the producer - it was unfined, unfiltered and pretty scary looking (cloudy, murky, yeasty like a home brewed beer). The SO took one sip and passed. I added a splash of a ginger cocktail mixer to it, finished the glass, and then poured the rest down the sink.

These are indeed funky. I’ll stick with ciders from Normandy or Brittany.

I’ve been a couple times. Food is great and complements the cider well. I credit this place for turning me onto cider, as they have so many styles/geographies.
Quality is very high.