Box-wine and Camping

Heading on a camping trip where we have to arrive by boat - which means box wine (OR - the ability to put my own wine into a suitably inert receptacle) - any suggestions for a decent-ish box wine (available in N Cal)? Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere…searches revealed only discussion of spice-box aromas…

An alternative is light weight way of storing my own wine - such as a reusable plastic bottle which I could trust not to impart flavor on the wine. Again…suggestions welcome!

No experience with it, but that’s what this was made for: http://www.rei.com/product/781835/platypus-platypreserve-wine-preservation-system-27-fl-oz

I heard heard that if you have to drink a box wine that Black Box is the best bet. Take the plunge…

If you can’t take stems to enjoy the wine I wouldn’t bring your good wine exposed to air and placed in containers. We have gingerly transported wine in ziplock freezer bags with no problems but we drank it upon arrival at our destination and I don’t know how it would hold up after a couple days.

Can you bring wine in a styrofoam shipper case; they can take allot of abuse. If you wedge the bottles with paper so they are tight in each slot, they will endure a boat trip. You can place the box in a garbage bag so it doesn’t get wet.

Did some quick searching and the boxed wine selection is disappointing. I really wish some fine winemakers would take themselves less seriously and release something I’d be happy drinking on a Tuesday night.

To be honest, some of my most memorable wines were in a jug, consumed on camping trips that sound a lot like yours. I wouldn’t have a box wine in my house, but wouldn’t hesitate, at all, to carry one into the wilderness. If there’s a time and place for everything, this would be it. After turning a '98 Barolo into slush this weekend sitting it out at a campfire (at -20 F), I have a renewed appreciation for pairing the wine to the event. I say go with box wine:)

+1

This wine from last weekend, while memorable in its own right, should’ve been a box wine:)
IMG_0116.jpg

You can put any decent wine into a Platypus or similar container and expect it to keep well over a 2-6 day period, depending on temperature. I’ve done so many, many times.
The only box wines I’ve felt were drinkable have been from France and Spain. e.g.
La Vielle Ferme CDR.

P Hickner

The box wines from Wineberry are very decent and by far the best box wines I’ve had. They offer a Cotes du Rhone and I think a rosé and a white.

Clif Family Winery, of Clif bars, makes or made The Climber in white and red. They come in a pouch, and I would describe them as not bad. Actually, I enjoyed the white.

Howard

There’s absolutely no contest:

Imported by Jorge Ordonez–the equivalent of (4) 750ml bottles. Sells for a song. It’s easily the best QPR on el planeta tierra.

Best,

Kenney

LOL…this has turned into a best “Box Wine” thread. I’ll have to remember the Vina Borgia for hike in camping though. Good one.

This would get my vote for a boxed wine:

I’ve been drinking from boxes of this juice over the past year or so, beginning (I believe) with the 2010 vintage and the most recent boxes being the 2012 vintage. It’s a great bargain. [cheers.gif]

Robert, any idea where this wine is available outside of New York?

Wineberry and Jenny!Francois mentions in there…

Looks like it is also available in California. Not sure where else. You could check with Jenny.

Never heard of any of these; great to see higher quality choices available for when you might need to purchase box wine.