Best of 1981?

Looking to buy a bottle or 2 of my birth year wine and it seems that 1981 was an off year. Rather than searching for the best of the worst on my own, I was hoping someone on here can recommend some stuff that is still drinking well.

I’ve never had anything great from '81 but some of the right bank bordeaux wines were pretty good.

Eric, interested to see what people suggest. My oldest just turned 32 a few days ago. You make me feel like an old guy.

A sound bottle of 1981 Pichon Lalande is quite good.

Anything in particular Paul? All roads lead to dead ends so far. Craig, hopefully, your oldest has the same love for grapes as you and I do.

Beaucastel. Champagne.

'81 Unico or '81 Krug Collection!

Lopez de Heredia Bosconia or Tondonia Gran Reservas are very nice in 1981. Looks like current pricing is around $175. Rare Wine Company has them.

Actually Rick hit a good one. 81 Beaucastel is my favorite vintage ever of Beau. For bordeaux, La Mish and Conseillante were probably the two best that I’ve had.

1981 Champagnes, when well stored are great. Taittinger CdC (regular and rose), Roederer Cristal (regular and rose) and Krug collection are the most consistent. Regular Krug 1981 is less consistent.

I’m sure that there are other lesser known champagnes that are good, but its going to depend more on the bottle than anything else.

81 Unico is also a great call.

Josh

Grange (havent had it, but it is known to be good) LdH, etc. A lot of nice wines in this sleeper vintage. Most still reasonably priced. Less so after 2011.

I second the recommendation here. RLdH released all 3 Gran Reservas in 1981. The Bosconia and the Tondonia Blanco are both fabulous – among my top handful of their GRs from 1970’s or later.

Michael

I was born in '81 and the following were all memorable and of high quality.

Krug Collection
Leoville Las Cases
Vega Sicilia Unico
Muga Prado Enea Gran Reserva
Diamond Creek Gravelly Meadow

I leave out Lopez de Heredia and Beaucastel due to extreme bottle variation at this stage (in spite of being well stored and from the same cases).

A 1981 Cheval Blanc I had maybe 10-12 years ago was very good. Anyone else tried this lately?

i was born in 1981 so have dabbled with quite a few. highlights include:

Krug Clos des Mesnil
Gruaud Larose (some significant bottle variation, though)
Palmer
Bourdy Côtes du Jura Rouge
BV Georges de Latour Private Reserve
La Mission Haut-Brion
Musar
Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett
Montrose

Another vote for Rioja

For LdH GR '81s, I prefer Bosconia to Tondonia, but that’s just me. I’ve opened bottles of '81 Vieux Château Certan and Lynch Bages over the past year, and they’ve been quite nice (in my own experience, I’ve found Pomerol more reliable when it comes to Bdx vintage '81).

Good luck.

Best,

N

Had a bottle of 81 Rousseau Chambertin/Beze a couple weeks ago, and it was great.

another vote for Rioja.

Gruaud Larose is very good and not very expensive. Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune if you can find it.