TN: 2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Auslese #14

• 2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Auslese #14 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/17/2013)
    A lovely young Auslese. This is a very deep and intense wine, dominated by notes of rich fruit, honey, and even some floral elements. It is at once heavy and light (a seeming contradiction, I know, but that was my impression when drinking it), with just enough acidity to balance its heavier components. I tasted this alongside a 2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Kabinett and the differences were readily apparent. Where the Kabinett was light, bouyant, and possessing an electric acidity, the Auslese was deep, refined, and contemplative. Beautiful stuff. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Good to hear. Willi rocks.

I want this in magnum with a straw! [snort.gif]

2012 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Auslese #14 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/17/2013)
Truly sublime. Mild botrytis amidst red and tropical fruits. The flawless acid-sugar balance offers a lovely mouthfeel of rich and creamy yet precise fruit, without overt acidity; in no way was this cloying. Power, depth, finesse, poise, intensity, and that great-wine hallmark of radical changes from sip to sip. I really cannot ask for more in a young Riesling, especially as this was perfectly light and drinkable. (98 pts.)

This wine was hauntingly beautiful at a dinner last month. Glad to see more people enjoying it!

This brought back memories of those epic 2005 and 2007 Spatlesen and Auslesen from Donnhoff, Selbach, and Molitor that got me into wine in the first place. They were the only great wines I could afford at the time. Who knew grape juice could be so special?

Resurrecting this thread because this wine was so freakin’ good last night from 750. Beautifully balanced integrated acidity and an incredibly intense passion fruit and peach nose. It’s a great time to revisit if you’ve got it.

Surprised that a 2012 Auslese would be showing so well at age seven.

Surprised us too a bit. We opened it and let it sit in the open bottle in an ice bucket for almost 2 hours.

Anyone try the 2007 lately? I’ve got some, not sure of the A.P. Currently my thoughts are to keep it buried.

I am not really fond of where 2007 Mosel Rieslings are right now. They seeem to be generally awkward. I would hold.

It was really singing. Phenomenal.

Just piling on.

I would have argued against opening it if MFW hadn’t recently said that 2012s were not, in general, shut down. I would have been wrong as this was stunning.

Auction GK 05 was absolutely beautiful tonight, so light yet so concentrated.
9B46162D-896E-4CE1-982B-A054B5333683.jpeg

Sounds awesome. I have a few of the 2012 Auslese #11 that I’ve been holding off opening because I thought it would be shut down hard. This is making me reconsider.