TN: Tuscan Reds $20 to $40.

Last night my value group met to taste Italian white wines. Unfortunately, I missed last month and someone decided that dinking interesting white wines in August was a poor topic. The topic was changed to Tuscan reds, not a bad topic, but certainly one that is done over and over again. Yet, I went with the flow. The rules for this group are that all wines must be available locally and cost between $20 and $40. The wines were popped and poured and enjoyed over 2.5 hours.

Our host Bill intended to start us off with a Planeta Chardonnay. It was badly oxidized which I interpreted as the Bacchus, the Roman god, punishing him for changing the topic. Or perhaps just Karma. In any event, he served the next white from his cellar, and perhaps a bit warm:

2006 Lupo Nero Bainco (Sicily)
I believe a blend of Gargenega and Chardonnay. Silvery green in color. Not much on the nose, perhaps some citrus and minerals. Slightly oily in texture. Minerals on the palate. Flabby and lacking acidity. Slightly bitter almonds on the palate. Blind I thought southern Italy due to the lack of cut. 50+2+11+15+5=83

Tuscan Reds:
2000 Antinori Tignanello
Bill threw in a ringer. Purple in color, ruby at the rim. Mostly opaque and bright. The nose has cherries but also a slight raisin note. On the palate, this is tight. Tarry with plums and cherries. Nice acidity. Good finish. I am sure this needs time, but at around $90 Ohio, I would be hard pressed to pay for this in this vintage. It got one first place vote and was the groups and mine, third place wine.

2004 Il Molino de Grace Chianti Classico
Ruby in color, mostly clear and bright. The nose is quiet. With air it shows some cherries. On the palate, this is sweet and cloying at first. It does settle down and demonstrate some cherries and cherry sweet tarts. Some tannins. While it improved in the glass, I would have expected more. 50+4+12+16+5=87

2005 Rocca di Frassinello Poggio All Guardia (Maremma)
A collaboration with Baron Lafite Rothschild and Castellare di Castellinathis. 45% merlot, 40% Cabernet, 15% Sangiveto, aged in steel and concrete. Ruby in color, mostly clear and bright. The nose is slightly earthy with a platic note that was distracting. Also some cherries and cassis. With air a raspberry note replaced the plastic. On the palate, this is the most structured wine at the table. Lots of cherries, some cassis and tobacco. Long finish. Firm tannins. 50+4+12+17+7=90

2005 Ornellaia La Volte
50% Sangiovese, 30% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon. Inky purple in color, mostly opaque and bright. The nose is earthy with complex cherries. Juicy texture. Nice acidity. Long finish. This was my WOTN and the crowds #2. This was soft and ready to drink but had some complexity missing in the other wines. 50+4+13+17+7=91

2003 Podere Lavigna Maritato
This was going thru a secondary fermentation in the bottle. It has spritz, sauerkraut and possible even brett. NR

2005 Trinoro Le Cupole
47% Cabernet Franc., 32% Merlot, 12% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Petit Verdot, 4% Cesanese, 2% Uva di Troia. Cherry red in color, clear and bright. The nose has cherries and cherry powdered candy. Medium bodied. Nice slick texture and very easy to drink. Lots of cherries growing stronger on the finish. The groups WOTN, and I can see why. It is certainly drinkable. 50+4+12+16+6=88

2006 Rufino Modous
Inky purple in color, shimmering bright. The nose shows cherries and cassis. This seems more serious than the Trinor, but is at the same time, a bit disjointed. The fruit, mostly cherries and black cherries is slightly sweet. Firm tannins. 50% Sangiovese, 25% merlot and 25% Cabernet (which seems to dominate). I wonder how this evolves. 50+5+12+16+5=88

Nice notes Loren. Big fan of the Cupole stuff and the Le Volte is pretty darned tasty too. The 06 of both of those are supposed to be off the hook (haven’t tasted 'em yet).

Tig story: I recently sourced a 95 for a friend and then proceeded to place it on a food wire rack at the shop only to see it wobble before my very eyes and crash onto the floor. But boy did it smell nice…