Perliss Estate The Ravens - any reason to buy?

I ran across the Perliss Estate website when searching for Pott Cabernet some time ago and joined the mailing list out of curiosity. From the website, Aaron Pott is the winemaker for Perliss. Their pre-release (and inaugural) offer expires tonight and I can’t really find any tasting notes or reviews to help guide the purchase decision. The minimum of a 3 pack at a pretty steep price keeps this out of the “I’ll buy one and try it” category. So…

Anyone have first hand experience or knowledge to share on the 2011 Perliss Estate The Ravens? Thanks.

Ashley

Fair enough, tells me what I need to know.

Ashley

Does seem weird being a Pott project and all. I think Roy piper mentioned these a while ago, it may be wort PM’ing him to see what he has to say…

Below are comments from Roy that I pulled out of a post on eBob:

" Just for clarity, Aaron, not me, is the one who has led the development since day one on Perliss. I have given them free advice as friends of theirs through Aaron about my ideas re how to present and market their wine, but they are a father-son operation charting their own course. What I really like about their wine is that the knoll they sit on is so far north in Calistoga that is is near Knight’s Valley, and unlike most of Calistoga, it is a cool zone where the grapes do not get overly ripe at all. It is well structured and not a fruit bomb, build for laying down and aging. For those who like that style, they will love this wine. It is like Aaron Pott making a wine like Monte Bello or Montelena."

The above from Roy and being a fan of Aaron’s wines were enough for me to take a flyer on a 3 pack.

Brian

Brian,

What are your thoughts on the 2013 ? Have you tried it or heard anything about it ?

Cheers,

Juan

Ola!

I have not tried the 2013. My guess is the vineyard, as it ages, will keep getting better and better. I see Galloni reviewed it and liked it. I also hear that Parker tried it and gave it 94. The Perliss wines are very structured and less fruit forward that most of Aaron’s wines. Those who want that style might really like Perliss.

Just placed an order for the 2016 vintage and found this thread. I’ve tried all the vintages starting from 2011, and have 2013-2015 bottles in my cellar. If you haven’t tried this, I’d encourage you to do so. Very nice cab. They also make a 100% Semillon (called “The Serpents”) that is excellent