• 14. Central Coast / Santa Cruz Mts
  • 15. Washington State
  • 16. Oregon
  • 17. Piedmont
  • 18. Tuscany
  • 19. South America
  • 20. you forgot my favorite obscure / no account region

0 voters

You can only choose one option on the poll but, feel free to discuss your top 2,3 or 10 in the thread. Mine remains Burgundy which is inclusive of; the Cote D Or, Macon, Beaujolais, Chablis and few other sub appelations I’m forgetting. My favorite village is a 5 way tie between; Chambolle, Gevrey Chambertin, Nuit St George, Chablis and Puligny Montrachet. I own 120 btls of Chablis so that may be my all round fav? Aside from Burgundy my next favorite region is sort of a tie between Piedmont, Barbaresco in particular and Tuscany with a slight edge to Piedmont. I also have a softspot for CDP and own a decent amount of BDX and Northern Rhones. Keep in mind the poll only allows me 20 choices when you want to skewer me for leaving off South Africa :slight_smile:

VERY flawed poll: there is a LOT more to Italy than Toscana and Piemonte. Taken as a whole, the Tre Venezia (Friuli, Veneto, Trentino, Alto Adige) kicks ass on both of them. For diversity, Lombardia (Valtellina, Oltrepò Pavese, Franciacorta) also.

Côte de Nuits followed closely by Côte de Beaune and Chablis so I guess that makes it Burgundy for me. I tend to favor Southern Rhône overn the north although that is changing. I also really like AFWE Loire and more restrained Languedoc-Roussillon. But then I love Napa Cab too so go figure.

Spain is a region??? If I like NZ I also have to like Australia??? I agree with what Robert said, you might want to learn about Italy. Neither of those 2 regions are in my top 2 of Italy. What happened to Austria’s regions and the rest of Germany. And none of these fall under your smug #20 comment.

Yes, Italy is rich in many great regions but, I can only present 20 options for a board poll or I’d expand it by double. Be kinda of hard to leave off the accepted consensus two best in favor of a region favored by a smaller group of impassioned fans.

…and nobody (but you) would vote for any of them… neener

Sorry, I only get 20 choices so I made an educated guess at how divvy them up. I would have loved to segment out Rioja from RbD but don’t think the results would have mattered. If your’re a big Rioja fan, like me, you’ll have to settle for the less than adequate “Spain” as your choice.

So why not do a focused poll for individual countries? Seems a lot more educational to me.

I voted “20. you forgot my favorite obscure / no account region” for Prosecco.

Noted, thanks Greg.

Way to go! champagne.gif

(I voted Champagne myself, but I totally support your vote :slight_smile: )

I’d vote for Champagne, but I’m broke.

Heck, I’m so broke that I can’t even afford Prosecco, but every once in a while I splurge on a bottle.

All roads lead to Piedmont.

Well, what are you waiting for?

Isn’t a lorie like a truck?

Yep - so drink whatever is in the truck? I can see the benefits. Can I change my vote??? [smileyvault-ban.gif]

Actually, I like this poll format – it gives a broad overview of where the entire board locates their loyalties. If you had a separate poll for each country/broad region, then the only people who would respond would be the people who liked that country/broad region. So the poll threads would quickly devolve into a bunch of Burgundy wonks arguing over their favorite square meter of land, Roberto arguing with a bunch of Nebbiolo-heads about why some village nobody had ever heard of but him makes better wine than anyone in Barolo, etc.

This way we can figure out how the whole board divides up.

Craig - there’s a huge difference between Ribera del Duero and Rioja. I’ve done many blind tastings to explore precisely that issue and you can always tell the difference just as much as you can distinguish anywhere in Burgundy.

“South America” takes the cake though! neener

BTW, my favorite region may very well be Tokaj (also subdivided like Burgundy). [cheers.gif]

Totally agree, did I seem to be lumping them togther as same? I prefer Rioja myself by a big margin. They’re different but with 20 options I had to settle with the more generic Spain. Just ran of space and I know from being on this board that South American wines see little to no play so, I didn’t break up even into countries. But if malbec from Mendoza is someone’s fav I wanted to at least give them South America as an option.

Craig, you don’t need to defend your poll options. They seem perfectly okay to me (and probably to most others as well). If my favorite region wasn’t on there, I just wouldn’t vote and would move on. Others seem to be offended for some reason. Maybe they should start their own poll then.

The #20 option makes perfect sense. You are limited to 20 options and you obviously tried to pick the most popular/well known regions and countries. People shouldn’t be so self-centered to think that ‘their’ favorite obscure region should be included in a general public poll like this. If that was the case the poll would have 100s of options, and France would still dominate.

I always find it humourous when people (typically those in the wine industry) try to say that these obscure regions that 99.9% of wine drinkers have never heard of are ‘better’ than the regions that are most acclaimed/popular. There is a reason why Burgundy, Champagne, Bordeaux, Tuscany, etc. are globally known and acclaimed.

Nah.

I’d guess most wine drinkers on the planet wouldn’t know anything past “German wine” or “Spanish wine” or “Austrian wine”, so I don’t see anything wrong with how Craig set up this poll. It’s a general poll with the most popular/acclaimed countries broken down further and the lesser known/acclaimed countries being left as countries (or a continent like SA). Please don’t compare breaking down France to breaking down Spain or Germany, because right or wrong, it’s not even close to being the same (as of now, France has over 60% of the votes, Germany has 5% and NZ/Aussie, Spain, South America and Alsace have 0%).