TN: 2001 Pegau

• 2001 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Réservée - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (8/25/2009)
    Lots of positive CT notes on this one, so time pop our second of the case (first one popped back in July 2003). Bottom line is that from our cellar this wine needs a bit more time. Initial wave of stinky brett on the nose, but this blew off after a while. Tight initially, reticent aromas of garrigue, pepper, red fruit; on the palate there were lots of tannins and plenty of structure, with fruit lurking in the background; very good finish. In other words, it shows like a wine that hasn’t yet come out to play. After 1 1/2 hours it was more expressive. Raspberries, garrigue, earth, flowers on the nose, very nice balance on the palate with flavors of earth and red fruits, and an excellent finish. We like it, and indeed find it to be an outstanding wine, beautifully crafted. But we won’t try it again for maybe another year or so… (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note. I was tempted to try one with all the positive “it’s drinking great” now notes. Rather I’ll keep making dents in my stash of 2000s.

Nice note. I haven’t had this in the last 6 months, but I think I probably had it 3 times in 2008 and one of those was out of magnum. I actually thought that it was drinking very well at the time, and my impression was that it was a bit more fruit-forward than what you experienced. The brett was indeed there, as it always is with Pegau, but I found that it does blow off after some air.

Wish I had more, but I think I’m out of 2001.