Cameron Hughes Cab recommendations?

In the quest for more affordable daily drinkers, I have forgotten what a tremendous deal Cameron Hughes wines can be, when chosen carefully.

Any recent recommendations of Napa cab offerings? I’d like to pick up a few for Jen.

Man…talk about falling off the radar. Haven’t heard a peep out of CH wines in a good while.

I’m on the mailing list, so I still get the offers and such, but we haven’t had a thread on CH reccs in a while

I just picked up a case on Cyber Monday, 30% off and free shipping. The last one i had was the 335 Meritage which was very enjoyable,if not overly complex for $12.

She’s into fuller, richer cabs, what she likes to call ‘full-bodied’. My fault for introducing her to the likes of Dehlinger, Lewelling Wight, Keever, and Herb Lamb.

CH began bringing in some decent French & Italian wines recently…i tried Lot 354 2010 Crozes Hermitage & I can tell you it is worth every penny @ $ 16/bbl.

as far Cabs, most of the '10s are gone - there is a 2010 Atlas Peak Cab still available, and '08 Napa Valley. Pick them up on sale (20% off) and you can find some pretty good daily drinkers. It gets expensive if you hit the Keever and Dehlinger too hard, too often.

I find Cameron Hughes to be good value for everyday drinking. Particularly the reds. Most are sub $20 when purchased on sale and they nearly always deliver above the price point.

2010 Cameron Hughes - Lot 318 - Napa Valley Meritage
(Merlot 64%, Cabernet Franc 25%, Cabernet Sauvignon 10%, Petit Verdot 1%)
Relatively shy on the nose the tobacco of the Cab Franc is a strong presence. Black fruits and hay. Tastes is consistent with the nose with even more ripe tobacco leaves, a touch of cinnamon, blackberries, fresh acidity and limited oak.

2011 Cameron Hughes - Lot 418 - Oakville Cabernet Sauvignon
(Cabernet Sauvignon 90%, Merlot 10%)
Strawberries and black cherries with a touch of orange peel on the nose. Oak is very well tamed and not dominant. Palate attacks with crunchy acidity (almost gamay-like) with red fruits, raspberries and orange peel. This is fairly nice claret and the acidity really worked with the steak. For $20 you can’t do much better in the category.

The last 1/3 of the 318 was a day old and for fun I mixed a bit into the 418. I give a rough estimate of 25% 318 to 75% 418. Aromatics really improved with a far more floral nose. The mixed wine was much more expressive than either alone and really makes a statement about blending really being liquidy alchemy.

Cameron, are you reading this? I would put Walt on payroll…
:slight_smile:

We did something similar a few years back with all the different Schraders with not a very good outcome. Tricky business for sure.

Cheers!

Hey Guys - sorry to be off the radar. Just busy lately.

Todd - I highly recommend Lot 451 Coombsville Cabernet - big boy wine from meteor Vineyard, we made it tip to tail Lot 418 Oakville Cab - killer oak and fruit with a kiss of brett
Lot 385 Napa (thought its Stags leap) Cabernet - classic Stags Leap style with dark fruit and earth with graphite and licorice
Lot 363 Napa Valley (thought its Atlas Peak) Cabernet - mountain style Cabernet redolent with good wood

the last three are spot market purchases, Lot 451 is ours. Lot 450 iscoming shortly and that will be Calistoga Cabernet from Heimark Vineyard. Killer juice.

If you guys missed the sale then just ping Kristin and I’ll let her know to hook up any Berserker who was sleeping one off on Cyber Monday

Cameron Hughes, the man himself! Nice to meet you - I’ve been a regular customer ever since I happened to come across Lot 33 in a Costco.

Lately we’ve been enjoying Lot 385.

Ah - lot 33 (2005 Spring Mtn Cab). Still have some, I need to try them.
I’ve been picking up some of the California Pinots recently. Good deal IMO with the 20-30% sales that regularly occur.
I did get two Lot 500s with the recent Cyber Monday sale. Curious at how those will be.

I first read about some “lot 9 (IIRC) syrah that this guy was making” here on this board. Have enjoyed many others since. Met Cameron at Snooth HQ. Interesting model. Not just buying orphans but also “co-developing” wines with wineries who have excess capacity. Terrific “cellar defenders” and often quite good in their own right

Thanks all for the good word. Use code “cybersale” if you want to get the 30% off savings we ran on Monday.

Cheers!

Cameron

BTW - Lot 450 Heimark Vineyard (just outside Calistoga in Dutch Henry Canyon) Cabernet just went live along with Lot 451 Coombsville Cabernet from Meteor Vineyard. If you use the coupon I just gave you these two Cabs will be your unbelieveable value acquisitions of the year. Check out the vineyards…

Heads up - there is (another) 30% off sale going on now and for the next 48 hours on his cabs.
Code: MERRY
Looks like free shipping on 12 bottle or more orders

Without hesitation I will recommend the Lot 357 2010 Napa Meritage. At under fifteen bucks, this WAY over performs. Getting a few cases for house wine.

Read an article about US negociants and became intrigued by Cameron Hughes. Any current recs on their wines that hit well above their price point?

Lot 385 Stags Leap

Forgot all about these too! Thanks for bumping this thread

Thoughts on the latest rutherford cab Lot 452? Same producer as Lot 285.