TN: 10 Hudelot-Noellat Chambolle-Musigny

gorgeous Chambolle–just superb. Drinks like a premier cru with great balance, lovely ripe fruit wrapped with clean acidity–just a great package. It makes me wonder what the Suchots and the grand crus at this address must be like.

They are incredibly good Alan. Charles who is the winemaker killed it in 2010.

Awesome! Can’t wait to get my case from PC :neutral_face:

I love the domain and I love Chambolle obviously but the 2007 and 2008 versions of this seemed of too thin and lacking fruit for me (and that is saying a lot because I have a high tolerance for thin and dilute) so I stopped buying it. Glad to hear the 2010 is nice.

Given the producer and vintage, that is about what I would expect, but it is good to have your confirmation, Alan.

Have a few of these and the Vosne also. Very different in style from the 09 but also very very good.

Sounds strong, Alan. Thanks for the data point…cheers.

I thought they killed it in 11 too.

Sounds good. Love the 09’ but yet to have 10’ or 11’.

Hope they were always this good . Have a bottle of the 1995 ready for tonight.

Notes only from barrel and from back in 2011, but FWIW…

"2010 Domaine Hudellot-Noellat Chambolle Musigny

From Vicard Barrel, good spiciness. Nice measure of fresh clean and currant fruit. Already fairly smooth, yet tangy too with small berries.

2010 Domaine Hudellot-Noellat Nuits-St.Georges 1er Cru Les Murgers

From Francois Freres barrel, just finished maloactic fermentation 2 weeks ago. Lovely cloves and cinnamon on top of strawberries. This does grip at the sides of the cheeks, as I find NSG often does, but it has requisite fruit. It is understandably still jumpy.

2010 Domaine Hudellot-Noellat Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Suchots

From Francois Freres barrel, mix of toasty cedar, cinnamon, blackberry and real sous-bois. Wow, super acidic at this point, black raspberries showing up. Will need plenty of time once it’s bottled.

2010 Hudellot-Noellat Vosne-Romanee 1er Cru Malconsorts

Francois Freres barrel. They only made 2.5 barrels of this. Deep pepper, white and black, is here, plum, some chestnut too. A real herbaceousness. There’s also a ton of energy and tremendous elegance already. Tongue also finds fantastic fruit and underlying spices. A top performer-to-be. A real privilege to be allowed to taste, given that there is so little of it.

2010 Hudellot-Noellat Clos Vougeots

Lots of truffle oil here and roasted herbs. Blackberry as well. Quite powerful already, with red and black plums and some cedar. Character is built in, though not fully developed, of course

2010 Hudellot-Noellat Richebourg

Francois Freres barrel. Mmm—deep with tremendous spice accents—cumin and cardamom among them. Does rooibos tea make any sense? Ton of red berries too. Le gout, has power, but much fresher than the Clos Vougeots too—full yet light with raspberries and back end of cinnamon and cedar."
thanks for checking in on this one, Alan.

Mike

Alan - tried the Suchots at the La Paulee in NY last year, great complexity & depth.

I remember the CV being very fine as well.

The whole line up of 2010s were impressive.

Great notes Mike, your choice of words piqued my interest in this producer. I’ll now keep an eye out for some Richebourg and Chambolle.

Your note inspired me to open another tonight and taste next to the 09. There is some reduction initially but it is higher toned and brighter than the 09. Like you said, just gorgeous.

The 1995 was pretty, it had very tart strawberry fruit notes with good acidity and a very elegant tertiary nose.

Fred,
There is a small amount of reduction in all the 10’s. It blows off quickly to me.
I love the vibrant fruit and energy of the 10’s. The fruit is riper than the 11’s but with the same kind of “transparency” to me. Beautifully balanced, they really hit the sweet spot.

I had good selection of their range from the Richebourg down in 09 and 10 a couple of months ago and preferred the 09s. Perhaps not very helpful as I don’t have my notes any longer, I ended up securing a few bottles of Malconsorts and Clos de Vougeot 09 for myself.

Too bad these seem to be unavailable anywhere in the USA. That is what you get for not buying the new releases in timely fashion.

In general, I continue to be impressed with the quality of the 2010 red Burgs. Have not had anything other than an excellent one yet. Which means that I am kicking myself for not buying more, but also jumping on the few remaining opportunities where they arise…

Sounds like my style of wine. I have always been keen on HN which I think look to be more elegant and understated than some other producers. 2010 also would have helped with this.

10’s are just so good! Thanks for the note Alan.
Best Regards
Jeremy