How to beat palate fatigue?

I asked this question a few years ago on eBob and none of the solutions there worked (although I haven’t tried the chicken broth suggestion yet).
But my palate was completely shot at Family Winemakers. I got it a little bit on Sunday, but left around 3:30 p.m. after the mob arrived. I stayed later on Monday though and it really showed up.
It got so bad that I could only taste about four or five wines before my taste buds seemed to disappear. When the purpose is wine tasting and not getting drunk, that’s a problem.
When it first sets in, I could get a cracker or two and make it go away. Then I have to move up to the pate (which is freaking fantastic, I might add). But after a couple of hours I find I have to just wait it out. No amount of crackers, pate on bread or water will take care of it.
I saw some people with soda pop. Is there something else that will revive taste buds?
The big problems seem to be tannins. I’d drink a red and could feel my mouth puckering intensely.
What do people do the battle palate fatigue? Or is it genetic and there’s nothing I can do?

Sparkling water and bread works for me. The carbonation seems to help.

Agreed.

Or, change your name to JSM and start covering Spain.

I visit the Prowein fair in Düsseldorf each year, and taste dozens of wines in a day.

the only thing I’ve found that works reliably to refresh the palate is beer.

lager, nothing too complicated.

in fact I could safely say that the only thing I swallowed this past year at Prowein was Bitburger…

Beer works well, remember to spit it as well.

Bread works for me.

I prefer sparkling water when I’m doing a judging. I think it really helps.

Beer, sparkling water and Champagne work best for me.

Sparkling water … bread dipped in olive oil also helps, but mostly these just delay the inevitable.

Ann Noble suggested a pectin solution, and I have actually seen a commerically available one recently, pitched at a wine show to tasting rooms . . .

When I lead tastings at UC Davis, we did tap water rinses in between tastes - AND waited at last 30 seconds . . .

Cheers!

Is this a problem with all wines tasted, or reds in particular?

Bruce

Red wines pose a particular problem because the tannins combine with proteins in your saliva, which gives you that dry mouth feel. Like you, Steve, I find a cracker or bread works in the beginning, but not after full fatigue sets in. Then I find cheese or pate, or something with protein, is what I need to “reset” my palate.

First to realize is that not only do individuals vary in how far they can go in a tasting before feeling palate fatigue but so do we vary from time to time depending on many physiological, social and psychological factors.

I think one good rule of thumb is to take a 30-45 second break between tastings, and that no matter how many wines you may “have to” taste that day. Another rule that I follow is to take a short break, even stretching the legs by strolling about for a few minutes after every 10th-12th wine that I am tasting.

As to what one drinks or munches between wines or to clear the palate, definitely a case of different strokes for different folks. My own preference is for unsugared, unsalted bread between wines or occasionally just to clear the palate, that rinsed with a neutrally flavored sparkling or non-sparkling mineral water. If doing a major tasting, I will swallow the bread rinse with water and then (despite the few crumbs that remain in the mouth) spit the water much as I do the wine.

I can understand how many find dipping a piece of bread into a bit of olive oil a good method. In such cases I hope that those who put out the olive oil had the good sense not to use an especially aromatic or spicy oil.

I am opposed to true snacking, especially of cheeses between tastings as cheese tends to enhance both the aromas and flavors of wines and thus skews our critical ability.

Also worth being aware that at times we may think we are suffering from palate fatigue but are actually suffering from what is probably a temporary loss of concentration/attention. The way to test that is to have someone give you a glass of wine that you have tasted earlier, doing that blind so you do not know which wine it is and to see if your first and current tasting notes and reactions are in accord one with the other. If not…take a break, even if that means going back to your hotel and sleeping for a few hours.

Best
Rogov

At competitions where I’ve tasted 168+ wines, our secret weapon is roast beef and sparkling H20

Lots of water and either bread or crackers keeps me fairly fresh. I go through a ton of water when tasting. A couple bottles an hour usually.

Water not only for rinsing but to keep you hydrated and drinking slowly. Crusty bread is my foil for tannins. Scrapes 'em right away.

I have found that using a higher acid white like an agressive style New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc works to reset my palate. Sancerre or other similar wines work well.

Spitting a lot & sparkling water as required. I try to set hourly limits at big tastings. If I stay at or below 15 wines per hour with a water break I can keep on top of it.

might want to check something like this

http://www.santasti.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Spitting, water and practice…simple. [highfive.gif]