White Truffles On Sale

Nothing to do with wine, just a nice price on some delicious white truffles. http://www.urbani.com Through tomorrow, 40% off standard price with the coupon code “Thanksgiving”. Takes the 1oz price from $200 to $120, or about $4.25 per gram. 2 day shipping seems to be $20 for any size order.

No affiliation, and I already ordered mine!

Amazing, thanks! So now the question is: how long can truffles last if properly stored?

Truffles should be wrapped carefully in a paper towel and kept in an air-tight container or jar. It is very important to keep truffles dry; therefore it is a good idea to change the paper towel daily. All truffles hate dampness, and will develop mold if moisture is present. If mold develops, simply shave the affected area.

White truffles should be consumed within five to seven days of harvesting. Use white truffles within three days from the time they are received. Most people keep fresh truffles in the refrigerator. It is generally best to consume fresh truffles as soon as possible because the flavor and aroma will fade with every day they are stored.

Thanks for this link. I’ll check it out shortly. Are these from Piedmont? Most places I’ve seen store them unwrapped in rice. When the truffle is gone, the rice makes great risotto! :slight_smile: need some of these for Christmas Eve, so again, thanks.

Rice is your friend here. Especially arborio. Besides smelling and tasting fabulous, the rice is hygroscopic and will prevent the truffle from molding.

FYI, for those in the NY area, Buon Italia in the Chelsea Market has them for $150 an ounce, with shipments twice a week.

An impossible question to answer probably, but how much is 1 oz. in practical terms?

Should probably figure between 1/4 & 1/2 oz per generous serving when shaved over pasta.

I saw the link on facebook and made an order for thanksgiving. Hope they are good.

That’s roughly a golfball-sized truffle. That would be quite generous for four people. You could probably have enough for six people if you don’t mind a little lighter touch.

this is actually a terrible idea - the rice will certainly absorb moisture and therefore, eventually, all of the aroma of the truffle. so you just spent $150 to flavor something that costs pennies.

fresh paper towel in a jar and use quickly.

$120 per oz on the Urbani website with this discount.

Has anyone heard a report on the quality of truffles this year?

Happy to hear. Our thanksgiving mashed potatoes are going to be yummy!

My wife sells Truffles directly from Italy and Croatia - se we end up with 3 to 6 ounces a week to use. She moves 2 to 4 lbs a week to the locals, wineries and many of the Napa restaurants. Here is my take on the season -

A very large year - it started early and is going strong. We have seen many big Whites so far even one 19 ounce sucker! The quality is very good to good. You have to be VERY selective and never buy unless you can hold and smell each truffle. Some are mushy and many can have worms (you have to look carefully for the little holes and you will not know if they are there until you cut them open). My wife spends a good hour or more each week when she rec. her Truffles making sure they are good. It is fun to see the difference in aroma form the different trees they are found under. I would say we probably toss 2 ounces per pound that we deem not sellable (either mushy, or just really bad smells.) It is fun to watch the chefs take their time and select their favorites.

All the advice is great. I have to say if you need to store over night or even two keep them in eggs and then have a soft boiled egg. SO good.

Why does payment have to be paypal only? :frowning:

My bet is that it’s got to be harder to get paypal to get a refund from the retailer…

Another deal for 50% off from Sabatino - use code FIFTYOFF

http://www.sabatinostore.com/truffles/fresh-frozen

Peter, excellent advice, with one caveat: truffles do not exactly hate moisture. They grow in damp soil. On the other hand, once out of the ground, it is hard to duplicate the environment. Buryng them in moist potting soil would actually be good, but not really practical or necessary. A little moisture helps. I take a dry paper towel, run my hand under warm water and then lighly, quickly blot my fingers on the towel to create some slightly damp spots. You will find that the little bit of moisture will prolong truffle potency, which can last up to two weeks with a pungent truffle. However, sooner is invariably better. John and Don, alas, as appealing as the idea is, rice does indeed destroy truffle flavor and aroma, both of which the rice leaches out of the truffle. Also, when you think about it, you will be boiling the rice, which will further degrade the truffle essence. It is a tribute to the truffle that it would withstand all of that and still deliver some of its character, but the rice storage is something that is no longer done by the truffle hunters themselves. Plastic containers with paper towels are used today almost exclusively. No moisture works, but, as noted above, minimal moisture a little better…