Virtual Tasting Series: Week 1. California Zinfandel (plus a twist)

Based on the other thread that was started about a virtual tasting series to help reduce cellar inventories (like this is going to make a dent!), I am glad to kick this off.

And in fact, for every CA Zinfandel tasting note that is posted below, I will donate $10 each to Laura’s House, the local charity that so many of you continue to support along with me, helping to prevent and save families from domestic violence. Here is their website: http://www.laurashouse.org/

I intend to open a Carlisle shortly and get to it so start posting, and in doing so, let’s do something together to help others.

I’m in! I’ve been looking for a reason to open some Rafanelli that I have laying around. I will post tonight!

We’re all going to end up reading others’ notes and buying more!

What a great gesture Frank! Bravo! [welldone.gif]

We have an engagement tonight so I will post tomorrow.
How about Zin blends? [stirthepothal.gif]

Sounds like a good reason to open a Lagier Meredith Tribidrag. On tap for tomorrow.

I’ll be chiming in over the weekend!

TN: Carlisle 2011 Sonoma Valley “Pagani Ranch” Zinfandel: Decanted 1 hour. On the nose of some white pepper, raspberry, Pomegranate Kefir, but with a taste comes an explosion of flavors. Perfectly balanced, a long finish, and a wine that keeps everything in check. No heat with this. Perhaps a bit early on this one but a terrific wine tonight. Matched with Chicago style pizza while watching some basketball…and yes, a zin blend. Does that count?

Cheers,
JP

Popping the cork in your honor Frankie!
image.jpg

I’ll see if I can find a Zin in my cellar.

Interested to hear about this one. I just purchased two bottles of the 2000 from Hart Davis this week.

Good luck with that Michel. neener

The initial note is good. Advanced color and a bit of strawberry liqueur on the nose. Crazy tart red raspberry and strawberry, acidity for days, tight fine grained tannins. So far impressed.

Cork was pristine!
image.jpg

Shoot, just popped a 2012 Clos de la Roilette, Cuvee Tardive, a Fleurie that M. Dildine would snort at!!!

Did not see this thread.

11 lytton
EqZVYPn.jpg

You Dog!!! I just got my 2010s! Was in a local store today, but they only had the '11 Pagani Ranch. No 2011 Geezer or LS available in Central Florida yet.

So, so . . . how is it?!?!

c: very young, dark, thick-rimmed/meniscus maroon/purple.
n: creamy oak, dark berry fruit. not wildly expressive 15 minutes after opening. something vegetal going on as well.
t: plush mouthfeel, chewy tannin. med+ acid. some coffee and tobacco supporting red/black berry fruit profile. nicely balanced. no zinfandel jam or gloopy character. another hint of seedy/stemmy green profile, which i don’t recall getting out of a ridge wine.

something in the 88-92 area if i had to score (which i won’t, as i’m on the tail end of a cold, and this is stupid young and could use decanting)

i’ll open some bedrock later this week!

2006 Rafanelli Zinfandel
On the nose dark berries, spice, subtle oak. It is deep purple and quite cloudy in the glass. On the palate it has medium acidity, very clean with minimal tannin….I get raspberries, blackberries, boysenberries, black pepper, caramel, and a hint of citrus. This is pretty good right now, but could use bit more time in the bottle.

By the way BRAVO FRANK! [cheers.gif]
Rafanelli.jpg

Go, go, go!

• 2008 Carlisle Zinfandel Carlisle Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Russian River Valley (11/22/2013)
    This starts off tight and coiled, so aeration is something that helps, and finishing the last glass now, we are at about 2 hours of air which is the right amount. Interesting to me, along the way, there was a bloody, syrah-like note in the aromatic that faded off with air but I enjoyed that moment in the wine. Now pretty well aired, this is classic Carlisle, fleshy and opulent, yet without any heat or annoying oak, showing a core of black raz, brambly fruit and a soily/earthy note. There is acid here too, but the fruit is king and the closing black cherry and hard cherry candy note closes the wine nicely. I like this, as it has a burly side, with a cedary, red fruit and it’s just damn good zin.

Posted from CellarTracker

This is Frank’s deal but let me add my voice to say we don’t make the mistake of ZAP and exclude field blends which are the core of zin in California! (Plus I opened a bottle already before I saw this tread [wow.gif] )
BTW Frank, great gesture toward Laura’s House and great first topic too! flirtysmile flirtysmile flirtysmile

In the decanter now, first note the color is light ruby and the nose is intense and brooding raspberries, blackberries, and orange zest: