Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
k s h i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Critical of the Critics - 2004 & 2011 Red Burgundy

#251 Post by k s h i n » May 19th, 2020, 7:16 pm

Larry Link wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 4:18 pm
For my tastes, 2011 is below all of these vintages. Not that I am a follower of Gilman, but I get a chuckle out of the title of his vintage report:

The Extremely Elegant, Low Octane and Unquestionably Outstanding 2011 Vintage in Burgundy

"Unquestionably"?

As an aside, my small group of experienced Burgundy tasters did a virtual Clos Vougeot tasting last night, we each contributed a Vougeot and tasted them together over Zoom for 1 hour, ranked them 1 to 5 and tried to guess the vintage and producer. None of knew what producer or vintage the other guys provided ahead of time. We ended up with 98 Meo, 01 Meo, 06 Meo, 09 Faiveley and 11 Ponsot (I didn't know he produced a Vougeot). Luckily a great spread of vintages combined with a fun Meo horizontal. The 2011 came in dead last (1 4th place vote, 4 5th place votes), and several of us Id'd the vintage. To my taste it was the youngest wine and frankly not very good, full of pine resin and pickle juice on the nose with a lean and astringent palate. Just one wine, but from a good producer, and it was the clear runt of the litter last night.
John is not sensitive to the 04 like taint as he still doesn't see any issue with the 04.
Kevin
ITB - I may be offering some of the wines that I drink and post TNs on.

Gaudissabois Johan

Re: Critical of the Critics - 2004 & 2011 Red Burgundy

#252 Post by Gaudissabois Johan » May 23rd, 2020, 2:58 am

Friends,

Had wonderful 2011s recently:
-great R-St-V by ARNOUX
-wonderful BEAUX MONTS (on grand cru-level) by Etienne Grivot.
-splendid CLOS VOUGEOT by Anne Gros
Only the Clos Vougeot by JM MILLOT had green overtones. But I was the only taster noticing it.. my colleagues thought the wine was fabulous (MILLOTS GRANDS ECHEZEAUX was absolutely top-notch..)

SINCERLEY JOHAN

Return to “Wine Talk”