My take on Burgundy 2011, 2012 and 2013

Prior to my recent trip to Burgundy, my experience with the 11 Burgundy was very limited. However having drank all of the Dauvissat lead me to worry about the 11 whites as they were almost identical to the 04s. A couple samples of the 11s from minor crus didn’t show any greens, I thought. Unfortunately, I found quite a few reds that are affected by GM and I believe it will only get worse in a year or two. If you are sensitive to GM, it may be best to avoid the vintage except when you have to maintain your allocation.

The 12s, both red and white, are great, perhaps very similar to the 10s but slightly less energy and concentration. I found the reds to be very clean and pure, almost with sweet fruits and excellent concentration. The whites showed nice concentration and ripe fruits without losing the freshness.

The 13 seems to be a very small crop and not a good vintage.

Based on a few discussions during the trip, the price will be definitely higher for the 12s and the 13s. Most of the 09s and 10s were gone and there is very little wines to be sold. I also received the 12 Jadot offer which is at least 30% higher than the 10. Perhaps it is time to back fill with the 09s and the 10s, if you plan to buy more Burgundy.

Thanks Kevin.

Most the reds I have tasted from 11 aren’t affected to a large extent where I notice green. 04 was like that also with quite a few producers. A delicious vintage early on. The 04s are starting to emerge in many cases now. For quite a while the wines were really close to undrinkable.

Bad news for the pocketbook on 12. Cheers. Sounds like you and Kelly really had a great time.

Kevin -

Can you please name the producers that are, in your experiences, affected by GM in 2011? We all understand that tolerance levels are quite different between tasters and that the level of GM may increase/decrease in time, but noting your list would be quite helpful.

Kevin- it would also be helpful to know if you perceive this to be a general problem or only affecting certain villages/producers.

Severe shortages and considerable financial difficulty lie ahead, I gather.

Refresh my memory: what was wrong with the 2004 whites? I don’t recall having had many myself.

A couple samples of the 11s from minor crus didn’t show any greens, I thought. Unfortunately, I found quite a few reds that are affected by GM and I believe it will only get worse in a year or two. If you are sensitive to GM, it may be best to avoid the vintage except when you have to maintain your allocation.

Names, please? I think being specific helps here, rather than painting with a broad brush.

The 04 whites had the same issue as the red. People in general seem less bothered. The sensitivity to GM in general varies a lot.

Kevin- if you aren’t comfortable identifying a producer or a village, just say so…

2013 is going to be bothersome. The wines are going to follow the weather, which was mediocre. I’m sure a bunch of quite good wines are going to be produced, but nothing like '05, '09, '10, '12. And the prices are going up. The old rules are the best rules. Buy as little of '13 as possible to keep the best allocations going, and backfill, backfill, backfill!!!

GM = Green Meanies ?

When prices for 09 (which I found too expensive) and 10 become relative values for Burgundy, things are really whacked.

Yes.

Actually, on the basis of the 11’s I’ve tasted (and I haven’t had a lot, and I haven’t recently been to Burgundy–cool you were there), I think it’s a very well balanced, early drinking vintage, light on its feet, well-fruited, but by no means over the top. The evidence I have for this is a couple of premier’s I had in France (Alain Jenniard CM Les Sentiers and Pierre Morey Pommard Les Grand Epenots) as well as a bunch of village level, especially the Gachot Monnot Cote de Nuits Village; the former, to my knowledge are not imported, the latter Kermit brings in (and at the price point, it’s a hell of a wine).
On the other hand, I did not find the 04’s as problematic as some–the Barthod Les Fuees from that vintage, and some of the Mortets, all drink nicely, and of course were much more afforadable than anything available today. (All reds, of course.)

Best,
Josh

Kevin,
I am surprised you found the '12s less concentrated than the '10s. My impression is that the '12s are quite concentrated.

Had an '11 Faiveley Clos des Cortons last night.

If someone told me this was an '04 blind, I would have agreed…

+1 Based on barrel samples I had the 12s are quite powerful.

Gerard,
So far gevrey chambertin, morey st denis, chambolle musginy and vosne romanee.

Andrew,
The 09s were not too expensive if purchased through the regular retail channel.

Kevin,
Perhaps it wasn’t fare to state that the 12s are slightly less concentrated since I wasn’t there to try the 10s in barrel. I did state that the 12s are great.

Joshua,
Sensitivity to GM varies significantly. Just like the 04s, GM is starting to be more noticeable.

I also have heard that there were a lot of lady bugs at the harvest.

Crap. Thanks Kevin - any chance you have tasted in Volnay or savigny and found the wines free of the GMs?

Didn’t notice green in 2011 PYCM Corton, Perrieres, or Genevrieres.

No green and only remarkable beauty in 04 PYCM Chevalier, Niellon Chevalier, Roumier Corton. Niellon was all elegance and white flowers.

In fact, first time I have heard green mentioned with 04 white burgundy.

2011 reds, I may end up agreeing with you. There is something unpleasant in what little I have tasted so far.

Having recently been bitten by the Burg Bug, this pricing trend saddens me.

Great vintage? Demand is through the roof!
Poor vintage? Yields are down and supply is short! [cry.gif]