CUNE Imperial 2004 WS wine of the year.

I love the 2001 but prices are climbing fast for the 01, 04, and 05 vintages. Clearly CUNE has modernized a bit compared to other “traditional” Riojas such as LdH.

I was wondering that myself. Typically I would not be touching these until their 20th birthdays.

it would be sad if another of the traditional rioja houses is modernizing their style. that leaves precious few- LdH, Rioja Alta, Muga, others?

During the televised #1 reveal, the WS representative said that CUNE is a middle-ground wine between modern style and traditional style Rioja. I lack enough experience to comment on the validity of this.

I was reading “The Finest Wines of Rioja” and i believe they mentioned that from the 1999 vintage they have made a slight stylistic shift to make the wines more modern.( will check the book for the year). My only point of reference before 2001 is the Cune 1966 and given the age difference it is impossible to judge. But i can confidently say that they are nowhere close to a modern wine like a Torre Muga.

10:22 and not one call for that yet. Just as well, we don’t have any.

I thought I noticed it in the Imperial as of the 2001 vintage and regretted it. Not as strong in that direction as even the Contino which I also think of as more mid-ground traditional/modern but I still don’t like it quite as much as I used to.

2001 FOR $49…WORTH IT?

This is the first time I can remember that WS has selected a wine I actually like - how annoying. I hadn’t bought the '04 yet and I guess now I never will.

Does anyone give a shit? I mean, does this award move markets?

Hey looking at these scores I don’t think you’re missing much.

I would definitely not put Muga in that group.

I agree that CUNE is making a more modern style with (some of?) their other wines, but I’m not seeing it with Imperial. I guess time will tell.

yes

IWC-Raynolds: 93 pts
Wine Advocate: 92+ pts
Jancis Robinson: 17.5/20
Decanter: 17/20

And this is the WOTY? Hmmm.

go better with Fine wine mag;

Tim Atkin: Bold, dense color. Youthful. Thick, dense, tannic, lots of fruit, but verging on the pruney and baked. High alcohol, tannic, over-the-top. Again, would most people recognize this is as Rioja? Dry finish. Modern. 13

Jesús Barquín: Medium to deep cherry. Highly extracted and ripe, powerful. The Rioja character is hard to tell. Modern. 15

Marcel Orford-Williams: Dry oak. Lacks class. A decent drink if the price is right. Old-style. 14

Really? Other than the Torre I hadn’t noticed the Prado Enea or Reserva have moved in a modern style. I don’t drink them regularly but a 2004 PE earlier this year was wonderful.

Historically, I believe that being awarded the #1 spot has been a very big market-moving event.

I’d also guess that if you’re a Rioja producer you are very happy with the attention your region will receive for a bit. Probably a big opportunity to introduce your wines to a whole new curious audience.

Prado Enea is ridiculously old school…

You must be thinking of the Torre Muga, which is indeed ridiculously modern. The Prado Enea and Reserva, IMHO, are very old school.

In my opinion yes.