TN: 2011 Jean Foillard - Morgon "Côte du Py" (France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon)

2011 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (8/22/2013)
– decanted for 30 min. before first taste –
– tasted non-blind on Day 1 over four hours; tasted again on Day 3 –

NOSE: moderate+ expressiveness; lots of cool red berry aromas; strong mineral note; pure; not funky; fruit; pleasant dandelion note after lots of time in the glass; nice high-toned aspect emerges after at least one hour in the glass.

BODY: medium bodied; blood red color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium-light bodied

TASTE: oooh … this is nice! Fruity, with a nice leather streak beneath it all; raisins and prunes, but this doesn’t come across as overripe; “bigger” than I was expecting; strong leather note; good acidity; alcohol is not noticeable; almost no tannins; very primary; somewhat simple; well-balanced; fruit did darken over the course of four hours; nice now, but I can imagine this improving with short to mid-term cellaring.

B: 50, 5, 12, 17, 8 = (92+ pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

yes! Terrific wine, great value.

2011 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (10/28/2013)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over two days –

NOSE: DAY 1: grapey; a bit savory and simple; ripe fruit. DAY 2: nice high-toned element — tart, juicy red berries — pomegranate.

BODY: black cherry color of medium-light to medium depth; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: DAY 1: grapey; fresh; strong leather note (brett?); 12.8% alc. not noticeable. DAY 2: fine tannins; acidity is on the high side; leather note not as strong as yesterday; pleasant garrigue aspect; actually better today than yesterday. The proprietor of my local wine store encouraged me to try this after I told him I don’t like Beaujolais. Obviously, I’d simply never had good Beaujolais prior to this, because I think this wine is some kind of stunning! Probably my QPR of the year @$27, and now I have a new type of wine to explore. Gut impression score: 91 – 93.

Posted from CellarTracker

Sorry I don’t have a dog in my avatar to keep the trend going.

$27 is a great price on that wine too.

love the 11 Foillard Cote du Py. it is a great fresh wine.

Looked at my bottles the other day wondering when I would try one…maybe this weeken then.

Yep. Very nice wine in past vintages. May try the 2011 soon just for fun

Had another bottle last night. Paul, there’s really not a compelling reason against opening one now — it’s quite delish! (and it fits into this week’s Focus Tasting that Scott’s spearheading) [cheers.gif]

Damn, lofty praise from you my friend! I need to grab some. Have not even tried my '09s yet!

I’m a HUGE fan of the '11 vintage.

Robert, thus far I’ve purchased this wine on 3 separate occasions — nearly a case, in total. I rarely “go back for more,” and I very rarely buy as many bottles as I have with this one; a wine has to really deliver bigtime at a very attractive price for me to perceive greater value in repurchasing it rather than trying some other wine I’ve not yet had — this wine so delivers! I just can’t keep my hands off.

Terrific wine, we bought a case for $32/btl all-in here in OR. We had one up at Paula’s Bistro in Port Orford, terrific wine.

Looking forward to trying soon. Really enjoyed the '11 Marcel Lapierre Cuvée, and this sounds as good or better.

bump

2011 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (9/29/2018)
Popped and poured, deep garnet hue, clear throughout. Lovely perfume of dark cherry fruits, mixed florals, fresh root vegetables, toasted coriander seed and additional spices. Moderate body, silky smooth in mouth. Lively & filled with freshness, this shows an almost surprising amount of lush fruit on the palate, fruit-flavors which are tinged with herbaceous accents and a subtle impression of minerals. Tannins are nearly indiscernible on the 360° close.
Quite beautiful, perfectly commemorates the precipice of transitioning into Autumn.

So good, already looking forward to opening my last bottle sometime within the next 1-3 years, could probably go longer tho.

2011 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon (7/27/2019)
– popped and poured –
– tasted non-blind over a couple hours –

NOSE: carbonic; cherry; cherry Twizzlers; not funky; hint of spearmint/camphor.

BODY: cherry red color of medium depth with very slight bricking; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium+ to high acidity; a touch tannic; funky on the palate; zesty (carbonic) cherry; nice pair with pork loin chop (rub/marinade of ajwain seed, tomato juice oil, garlic, and smoked paprika) and lentils; 12.8% alc. not noticeable. Drinking well now; not sure there’s much in the way of further upside here.

Brian, it’s really interesting to see your notes on this over the years. I’m not a Foillard fan, but they do seem like they’re built to age. What makes you think there’s no more potential here? That surprises me.

Doug, not Brian but I’ve consumed a few of these over the years and I’d say it’s the vintage trumping producer. The last 2009 I drank seemed like it could go for another 10-20.

And Brian, thx for the update - will be opening my last bottle this winter, I think.

Even the horrible vintages age for ever in a good cellar. I drank the 1992 this year and it was still good.

William, I’ll definitely bow to your experience w/Foillard - 2009 Côte du Py was actually my first vintage! That said, the 2011 iteration has always come off as aging on a slightly faster track, at least to my palate.

Interesting. Thanks, Alex and William. William’s experience is more what I would expect. Plus, '11 seemed like such a good, classic vintage in general when the wines were released. I don’t know if I ever tasted this one.