Post your WOTYs---and Discovery of the Year--TABULATION COMPLETE

Too early? It’s never too early! [stirthepothal.gif] [cheers.gif]

I’ve “narrowed” it down to 15, with replacements obviously possible over the next 2 months.

1997 Kalin Cellars Potter Valley Sauvignon Blanc
2009 Chateau Climens
2009 Sojourn Cellars Gap’s Crown Pinot Noir
2010 Ramonet Montrachet
1989 Krug Champagne
1989 Chateau Montrose
2004 Marcel Deiss Burg
2012 Prager Hinten den Burg Gruner Veltliner
2005 Littorai Savoy Pinot Noir
2001 Chateau La Tour Blanche
2010 Small Vines Baranoff Vineyard Pinot Noir
2011 Loring Family Russell Vineyard Mourvedre
2009 Mugneret-Gibourg Chambolle Musigny Les Feusselottes
2004 Vignobles Levet Cote Rotie La Chavaroche

Discovery of the Year – 20 year Argyros Vin Santo. Still haunts me. Definitely a WOTY-calibre wine. But the Montrachet, the unforgettable Montrachet is still best.

Mike, is this the 2010 A. Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet?

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-42370-2010-domaine-ramonet-montrachet-grand-cru-cote-de-beaune-france

Montrachet Montrachet.

Fine wine mike! Killing babies opening a 2010 Monty :slight_smile:

corrected!

No, its the 2010 “Rammin’ it” Sashaying Moan Rush, Yay!

Clearly I have to brush up on my french. Thanks - glad it wasn’t the other $40 wine with the low CT scores.

My discovery of the year was the AFWE wines. Oh how things just got more complicated.

discovery of the year was a 2006 moric blaufränkisch single vineyard. WOW, that was an eyeopener.

which one? Neckenmarkter or Lutzmannsburg?

Yup, the full Monty. Maybe, Charlie, but it was the stuff wet dreams are made of—the first dry white wine that I am prepared to say will achieve perfection if premox doesn’t get it, and a wine that will last for 100 years.

Fu, your second link is to a Batard-Montrachet, not the full Monty.

and Mike, I’ll grant you it has a chance at perfection, but 100 years??? GMAFB. I think your enthusiasm is getting in the way of reality.

My WOTY: 1970 Gaja Nebbiolo d’Alba.

Close (or not) others:
2007 Rasa QED
2011 Arnot-Roberts Trousseau
2011 Dirty & Rowdy Mourvedre
1999 Scarpa Barolo Tettimorra
2009 Raphet Charmes-Chambertin
1983 Pontet-Canet
1983 Beringer Private Reserve

whoops had both windows opened and copied the wrong one :X

Got too many big events in the next month to worry about wine of the year.

I’ll be happy to accept an invite, John. [grin.gif] Just starting the thread, would love to have you weigh in around December.

Chuck—OK, maybe I did get a bit effusive :slight_smile: but…if you have the chance to taste the wine…I really don’t say things like that every day. Of course, absent science fiction becoming reality, we won’t have the chance to find out.

I’ll play fair and reproduce the full TN, from back in August.

"2010 Ramonet Montrachet

Well, this sure wasn’t me, and I had no idea this was coming. John’s never had one of these (and I certainly haven’t either) and this is what he wanted. We ended up explaining to Stefan that this, and the red wines, were signature reasons and examples of why patience over the course of a night is needed. I am incredibly grateful to have had the opportunity to try this.

This, everyone, is a heck of a wine. At first, the bouquet really snaps at you with decided minerality, fresh squeezed lemon galore, some sea air even and possibly a dash of sage. And the first taste has laser-like precision that puts to shame all but perhaps Raveneau Chablis. But the marvel is that this is just Act One. Slowly, over 30-minute intervals, matchstick and toffee-covered ginger begin to poke their head out of the glass for a look-see. Slowly, over 30-minute intervals, the palate begins to expand until, at about the 2.5 hour mark, there is the purest expression of fresh pineapple with coconut milk, all bordered by nut paste and continued bracing acidity and minerality. The last tastes, with some pear and butterscotch being added, and possibly some star anise on the nose, provide the picture, only, of the skyscraper this wine will be. It is still being built, but this is the first dry white wine that I’ve tasted where I believe perfection is attainable. It also will, if it doesn’t suffer the premox curse, be a wine that, literally, will be able to last 100 years. Undeveloped as it is, this is a strong, strong candidate for WOTY and if you pressed me for a score, 97+ wouldn’t be out of line. It is the stuff wet dreams are made of."

For me Ambyth is the discovery of the year.

Very easy…'82 Ch. Talbot…compliments of sir Robert Alfert

Discovery…white burg, oh yeah I get it

Nice Mike with the Ramonet. The wines are so good.
Never had the Monty but it is way up there on the pleasure scale I understand.
Good job.

Thanks Don, and others for weighing in so far. Don, what’s made your list to date? I know you’ve had many fine pours again this year…

Thanks for the update on this Mike. I was lucky enough to score a few bottles at a reasonable price.

Bubbles: 1988 Krug - just in a great place now
White: 1996 Domaine Leflaive Chevalier Montrachet - a train smash of yum yum
Red: 1986 Chateau Margaux - why bdx is good