How long does it take to chill white wine

in the fridge, to the desirable temperature.

I’m wondering if I should do the bucket of ice water, but does that over-chill or compromise the wine’s flavor?

you’re better of putting it into a bucket of ice water to cool down then let it warm up to the temperature you want later.

I don’t chill whites. Take them right out of the wine cabinet (already at 55 degrees) and serve them. I find that for quality whites, the cold temperature mutes the flavor.

I find most California Sauvignon Blancs to be optimal at 54 degrees. Scott, you’re missing out.

This. 55º is nearly always perfect, and if too warm toss it in the ‘fridge for ten minutes.

I usually stick the bottle in the freezer just long enough to chill the bottle, but not the wine. About 10 minutes. That keeps it from getting too warm at the table.

P Hickner

depends on starting temp, fridge temp, and bottle size, as well as what temp you prefer. Out of a cellar is perfect temp to serve, as others have opined.

At the table, place the wine bottle in a ceramic "wine caddy”* where the outside is unglazed. In the summer or in a hot room, first run the outside of the caddy under cool water before placing the bottle in the caddy. The evaporative cooling of the water will keep the wine cool while you eat and pour. You can also douse the caddy with water and put in the fridge an hour before hand on warmer days. Works like a charm! And, you can find caddy’s that look very nice on the table…

*Not sure what they’re called, but it is a ceramic cylinder whose inside diameter is just greater than the outside diameter of wine bottles, and which is unglazed on the outside to adsorb water, which then evaporates, giving a cooling effect

That’s a good tip for red wines on warm days too.

P Hickner

It depends on the starting temperature naturally. If at “room temperature” I would guess about 40 minutes in the fridge. Much less time in an ice bucket, as the very cold liquid rapidly cools the glass bottle. I don’t use an ice bucket, but would guess that even 3 or 4 minutes might be enough. A really good white shouldn’t be served “too cold”, as that will shut down all the nuances and flavors. You just have to take a small taste to see how it is doing…

I have seen my wife pour a glass of wine in to our martini shaker, add a few 1"x1"x1" ice cubes and give her “book club white wine” a shake! cools in seconds!

Chris - some should be chilled for a little while, some for a little bit longer, and some not so much.

Hope that helps! [cheers.gif]

Mark, any idea where to find one of these? I have one but the outside surface is glazed.

room temp white + moistened paper towel + freezer for 10 minutes.

may damage the label, but you’ll have chilled wine.

Rick, I believe my wife got ours from a craft show at which a potter was selling their wares, it is really quite beautiful. Places like Appalachian Spring (local store) carry them as well. Here’s one from their site which looks unglazed:

(click pic for link)

Note that the outside being unglazed is really only required for use outside when hot and even then if you put the thing in the fridge or freezer before hand, it works very well without the water - it holds cold air inside.

Thanks Mark. Maybe I can try to summon my high school skills and throw one myself on the potter’s wheel :slight_smile:

I use this method. The time can vary a bit depending on whether or not the motor is running, but it works great, and without having to use a bunch of ice.

I also agree that if the wine is starting out at 55 degrees, I’ll just serve it and maybe put the open bottle in the refrigerator for a little while while drinking the first glass. From room temperature, the paper towel trick does great.

Depends on the fridge, depends on the wine :slight_smile:

18 minutes and 36 seconds

Sure, for SB, but I think it’s 16 m, 17 s for Chard. Jeesh, don’t confuse the guy.