Yet another Berserker wine coming...that you don't want to miss! (Riverain)

Yes, there’s another…Riverain.

Many of you had Riverain (Steve Nordhoff’s project, Thomas Rivers-Brown is the winemaker) Syrah at Falltacular, but I couldn’t find any notes on the 2011 Cabernet Sauvignon, so maybe I’m among the first to try it. Jen and I were able to enjoy some last night, and I might add that this is the first TRB wine I’ve enjoyed in a couple years (I prefer the wines TRB likes to what he makes, which are quite different). Rich enough for Jen, acidic enough for me, and at only 14.1% ABV flirtysmile it was food-friendly, for certain. Oakville fruit picked in early NOVEMBER!!

No affiliation, yadda yadda - just really enjoyed the wine. He is pricing it at $90/btl, I believe.

How do we learn more about this project? Could not find a website. Thx

Todd,

Thanks for information. It appears there website is a work in progress, but you can send email to join list. Here is address:

http://riverainvineyards.com

Brian

Thanks Todd for the kind words. Brian indeed found the sign-up on the website, which should be up and running within two weeks. We are hoping to announce a release shortly thereafter.

Our farming in 2011 was really outstanding. We were able to hang the Cabernet until November 3 with no rot pressure. To get there Thomas cut off every other cluster at the end of August, which made for some very low yields, but we are really happy with the wine.

Here is TRB’s note on the Cabernet

From the Tench Vineyard in eastern Oakville (bordering Screaming Eagle & Rudd), the 2011 Riverain Cabernet is a classic expression of the vintage and vineyard. 2011 was a challenging year that required attention to the weather, the farming and everything in-between. Only the best sites in the best locations were able to shine under such conditions and we are extremely proud of the effort and wine we have made. Long and cool, as one would expect, there is a site reflective balance and acidity that is common to this part of Oakville. The acidity, which frames the black and lifted red fruit notes through the mid-palate, provides a tremendous length that gives the perception of a limitless finish. In its youth, a healthy decant will be required to coax this wine out of its early reticence, however those with some patience will find themselves duly rewarded over the next 8-10+ years.

THOMAS RIVERS BROWN, WINEMAKER

147 cases
14.1% alcohol (really)

Very nice Steve! Will have to try one :slight_smile: