1963 DRC La Tâche

• 1963 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, La Tâche Grand Cru (10/19/2013)
    Bottle no 24760 ; 28245 bottles produced, 1963 a disappointing vintage across the whole of the region. The La Tâche had a brown color with no ruby left. A very ripe and fully mature nose of caramel and spices, on the palate spectacular middle weight flavors of brown sugar, earth and hints of truffle, that completely coat the palate and explode on the slightly sugary finish. A great surprise and a stunning effort for the vintage. This is all about mature Burgundy Wow!

Posted from CellarTracker

Drank on a couple years back with my fingers crossed - found it to be outstanding as well.

First it was Francois with the 62, now you with the 63 Barry. Anyone going to open the 64 La Tâche today?

Thanks for the note.

Best Regards
Jeremy

Please, no, I may just have to slit my wrists.

It sounds like quite the experience. A real pity my invitation got lost in the mail again… [wink.gif]

I’ve got a 1963 DRC Grands Echezeaux sitting in the cellar. I should give it a try.

You should indeed. I expect it will be wonderful.

Tim,
I have opened 2 times GE DRC 1963, crossing my fingers, and despite a not friendly perfume by opening, the two became very drinkable and emotional.

The 1963 DRC Richebourg was undrinkable in the early 70’s.

Francois,
How long should I allow it to slow oxygenate after opening?
Cheers

4 hours should be fine.
Do nothing: just open and let it stand. The less you shake the bottle, the best it is.

About the 1963 vintage in Burgundy;

The weather did not warm up until June, after a severe winter and protracted, coolish spring. July saw intermittent rain, and August was, frankly, wet. The crop did not really have a chance to begin ripening until the middle of September. Harvest began late, in October, and did not end until the beginning of November. DRC bottlings from 1963 vintages are rarely seen. They weren’t highly regarded and bottles were consumed with some haste.

not a 64, but I’m going to try a 67 on Thurs…albeit with a low fill-fingers crossed.

I love that label.

Thanks

I was fortunate enough to buy 10 bts of this wine about 25 years ago or so from an extremely cold, well stored, source. Every time it was (alas I have no more) a wonderful wine belying the vintage. The last time out it outperformed a 62 LT, and in the blind setting it was in, was actually thought to be the 62.