TN: 25 Baroli from 2001: Surprising results

Since no one has posted yet on the marathon tasting of 2001 Baroli that Greg dal Piaz organized on Saturday, I’ll kick things off. I presume the rest of the gang is still waiting for their gums to recover from the tannins.

First, a big thanks to Greg for running this and contributing all the wines.

The bottom line: The wines were very disappointing, and a number showed flaws such oxidation that were very worrisome.

Greg was interested, in particularly, to see how the more traditionally made wines fared against the more modern ones. Overall, the contest went to the modernists, I thought. Certainly they did not lose.

In short, not what any of us expected.

Possible explanations:

1. The wines are an awkward moment (perhaps true of many of the more traditionally produced wines, but this explanation can be a refuge for bad wines).
  2. Palate fatigue and lack of food (but why, then, was the last flight, of Brunates, by far the best?).

These were tasted double-blind. Greg organized the flights ahead but I numbered the bottles so he didn’t know which flight was which or which order they were in within each flight. The rest of us did not know the list or even that the flights were organized by village.

Greg had purchased these on release from Astor, where he worked at the time. He double-decanted these at 10 am and we began tasting around 4:30. Sojourn on East 79th was kind enough to host us, and its patrons were indulgent of Brad and Leo’s increasingly amplified insults, culminating in calumnies about each other’s mothers – which were greatly enjoyed by the rest of us tasters, if not the other patrons.

I have no strong conviction about my scores or rankings, but here goes. Some were better when we (finally) had some food. Surprise, surprise. Most were so tight that I never found a lot of specific aromas and flavors to note. Where there are two scores, the latter is on retasting.

Flight 1: Monforte
A. Conterno – Cicala: 85 Nice cherries and floral note at first, then oak. Then more oak. The oak stood in the wings at first and then stormed to the center stage and stole the show. In the mouth, a caramel note. Overall kind of disjointed.
Grasso - Casa Mate: 83 Some oxidation (WTF??) and prune that doesn’t blow off. Same thing in the mouth. Some people thought they got some TCA, but most of us didn’t. A later note said my score was too high.
Alesandria – Gramolere: 87/91 Medium weight, tight on the nose. Balanced in the mouth but very tight. This got markedly better with a bit of air and food.
Clerico - Ciabot Mentin Ginestra: 90 Black cherry and a bit of heat in the nose. Good depth, with some wood in the mouth. Masculine, quite extracted. I speculated Serralunga. Oak really comes up as it sits out. Hard tannins at the back.
Oddero – Mondoca: 88+/92 Sweet, slight cherry candy in the nose with a bit of perfume. More feminine than others. Not knowing the flight organizing principle, I said this reminded me of a Marcarini La Serra in its femininity. Very, very pleasurable later with pasta and beef ragu.

Flight 2: Castiglione Falletto

Cascina Ballarin - Tre Ciabot: 88- Some dried flowers on the nose. Good depth and fairly open in the mouth.
Cavallotto Riserva San Giuseppe:
91/93+ Darker in color, very tight on the nose at first. In the mouth, backward but balanced, with great depth and grip at the back. Later this showed real elegance and became one of the WOTNs for me.
G. Mascarello – Monprivato: 80- Solvent hints in the nose – like something I’d used to remove grease from machinery. Nothing interesting in the mouth. No fruit. Later it still just seemed tannic and dumb. This might just be shut down, but that thing on the nose – which others got, too – was troubling. (Note: When I visited the cantina in late 2005, they showed all their 01s except the Monprivato.)
Brovia - Garblet Sue: 75 VA on the nose. Oxidized in the mouth. What happened?
Scavino - Bric del Fiasc: 84/87. Very shut down on the nose. In the mouth, some cherry. Lots of depth and grip. Some wood spice. On the masculine side. Later the balance seemed good but the wine didn’t seem very transparent; the flavors seemed a bit muddy (malo in barrel, perhaps?).

Flight 3: Serralunga (funny how the notes get sketchier as I go along)

Ascheri - Coste & Bricco: 80 “Weird” nose, disjointed. OK but boring in the mouth.
Cappellano – Rupestris: 78 Harsh in the mouth and disjointed (wood tannins, I wondered). Tough, backward. Unrelenting.
G. Conterno - Cascina Francia: 70 (though I later wrote that this was far too low) Sigh. Another seriously, seriously disappointing bottle of this wine – my third – that was so yummy young. Something very off-putting in the nose. Harsh in the mouth. Later I couldn’t detect any faults; it’s just one tough sucker of a wine.
Massolino - Vigna Rionda: 75 Vegetal nose – very atypical Barolo. Softer in the mouth and big.
Schiavenza – Broglio: Oxidized on the nose, shot in the mouth. Did I get chlorine on the finish?

Flight 4: Cannubi

Burlotto: 84 (later wrote that this was too harsh) Muted, masked nose. Seemed disjointed on first round; later seemed just very tight. The finish seemed both harsh but sweet.
Chiarlo: 70 Burned coffee on the nose. Harsh mouth. We moved along quickly. (A Chiarlo Cerequio that Leo contributed after the main tasting was far worse.)
Sandrone - Cannubi Boschis: 89 Big, ripe, extracted, a bit flabby – and a relief after the others. Celery notes on the finish. What’s that about?
Brezza: 85 (later wrote that this was too low) Finally, a more classic nebbiolo nose of rose hips and dried flowers and fruits. Big, ripe, extracted, seems even lower acid than the preceding wine. Later seems just backward and structured.
E. Pira: 88 Brighter, better acidity, but a trace of oxidation. The balance and femininity of this is just as appealing as it was on release. But where’s that oxidation coming from?

Flight 5: Brunate (almost restoring our faith in the vintage; though note that style didn’t seem to have a bearing on quality here; there was near jubilation when we tasted through these)

Voerzio: 92 Big, tannic, extracted, but a bit diffuse/disjointed on retasting. A trace of VA at the back?
Altare: 91 Great depth and fruit. Delicious. Later seemed more generic in the mouth. Long, tannic finish.
Vietti: 89 Very ripe, rich, masculine but fruity.
Marcarini: 89 Taught but good depth. A bit less fruit than some of the others. Quite a bit of sediment. (I’ve had a couple of bottles of this over the past two or three years that showed much better.)
Marengo: 91 Good depth, balance. Sweet, rich, ripe.

Attendees: me, Greg, Leo Frokic, Cristi Dezso, Levi Dalton, Jamie Wolff, Brad Kane, Josh Leader, Greg Tatar

I think a lot of the wines are still in a “phase” where they are showing very odd things (how can G Conterno be bad??).

We did a similar tasting on a much smaller scale in May and included barbarescos. Some of wines showed diametrically opposed to what you found (all 2001’s):

Cappellano rupestris-beautiful penetrating wine-balsamic, cherry, ‘red-hot’ type cinnamon note. WOTN

Produttori Paje-slight heat, well structured, bit of an herbal or mint note.

Mocagatta Bric Balin–quite a bit more oak, a little bitter, somewhat flattened by the oak.

Cavallatto Riserva Bricco Boschis ‘vinga San Giuseppe’–huge VA, somewhat hot, pretty unpleasant.

Borgogno Riserva Classico–Cooler, deep dark fruit, somewhat reserved but promising.

Marcarini Brunate–Ripe, slightly warm, deep cherry fruit. showing quite well.

G. mascarello ‘Monprivato’–Higher toned, more red fruit, much lighter style, seems lacking a bit currently. Had similar opinions in the past, but I know these wines can deepen in their next decade.

Borgogno Barolo ‘Storico’–Sl over-ripe, deep, tannic. somewhat too much of everything. Seems like they were trying too hard.

Sandrone ‘Le Vigne’–corked.

As above, I think the wines haven’t quite come out of their weird stage and you can get showing all over the map of wines that will eventually be good.

25 young Baroli and no food? My palate would shot for a month.

Sorry to hear about the wines. I have a bit of 01 so hopefully just an off night.

Maybe 2000 is a better vintage after all?

Something seriously wrong here, although I have no idea what. (Well, other than the missing Giacosa red labels to put the rest of these wines to shame! :slight_smile: ) I cannot think of a vintage (maybe 1997, I suppose, with the Brunate e Capalot) where a Voerzio wine could vie for WOTN honors. Greg posted on the gray slime problem, which really seems like an Altare winery problem, rather than a vintage problem. It is clear that 2001 is not an early-drinking vintage, and it has been bandied about with 2004 and 2006 as a potentially classic vintage, but you would think it unlikely that such a wide range of styles and quality would produce such across-the-board mediocrity, even in a concensus off-vintage (which 2001 clearly was not). I bought only 5 wines from this vintage, the Sandrone Cannubi, Monfortino, G. Mascarello Ca d’ Morissio and the two Giacosa red labels, only one of which was present in the subject tasting, but the Giacosa Rabaja Riserva may be the best Rabaja ever made. I also bought and consumed a lot of 2001 Barbera, which has been consistently terrific, and drinks well even now. I have to conclude that the problem here is something other than the vintage…

Little chance of that, I suspect, except for Giacosa, and even that would be a close call…

This is a very scary thread. I really hope it’s a phase! Have other great vintages gone through a comparable bad phase at age 10-15?

Just for grins, I went back and took a look at the tracking chart of all of the major reviewers’ scores that I used to maintain for the vintages 2000, 2001 and 2004. Across the board, the Barolo scores (and Barbaresco scores, for that matter) were extremely consistent across all three vintages, the great producers great and the average producers average, with only the 2001 Bartolo sticking out as unusually weak. Just eyeballing, one would conclude that 2001 is a better vintage than 2000, but not by a great margin, and that 2004 is a better vintage than 2001, by an even smaller margin (especially if you discount the impact of the 2004 Montfortino and Giacosa red labels as outliers even for the strong 2004 vintage). There is no precedent for ALL of the reviewers getting a vintage wrong that I can recall. The 2001 vintage yielded more premium cuvees than the other two. All three vintages produced 2 Giacosa red labels (Giacosa produced a good Asili normale in '01, but not an Asili riserva only because he made the one and only Rabaja riserva that year) and Monfortini, but '04 yielded no Gran Bussia and '00 no G. Mascarello Morissio, while '01 yielded both.

All of this is but playing around with statistics, but with a point and some significance, I think. I have no reason to doubt John’s assessments, but I also have no reason to doubt the 2001 vintage at this point. It sounds to me as though we could be dealing with a long-aging vintage in a very bad place.

Brady, there are still 1989s and 1996s that may show more potential than the wines above, but are not drinking any better today than some of John’s notes reflect for the 2001s that he tasted. There are also a fair number of overlooked or underrated vintages that aged well and provided some really delightful wines. This report, however, seems almost analogous to the Burgundy “green meanie” phenomenon. Let’s hope that John reports back that he suffered a reaction to a cold medication or something! :slight_smile:

I’m eager to see what the other attendees post, but everyone was disappointed by these, and there was a lot of collective experience with the region. I think Greg was most surprised of all, but I’ll let him speak for himself.

To me the oxidation on three wines was weird and worrying.

The Cascina Francia has shown poorly on two other occasions for me (one with Greg), and I know he’s had even more strange encounters with it. So that and the Monprivato are not one-off experiences at one point in the wines’ lives.

Food would no doubt have helped some of the tougher wines. But it wouldn’t have helped outright flaws. And everyone there found the last flight to be the standout, at a point when fatigue should have made everything taste lousy.

So… go figure.

At a minimum, John, after an experience like that, the wines of the vintage merit watching and periodic reporting. There could always be something larger at work here…

Quite a disappointing showing, though extremely generous on Greg’s part. You were actually more kind to the wines than I was, John, as there were only 5 that I rated B+ or higher. I only took real notes on the first ten or so before I gave up due to the poor showing.

I think a couple turned up to be corked, but the the maderization on a few was unmistakable. Whether it was due to sloppy winemaking, or perhaps abuse somewhere in the pipeline remains to be seen. I know once Greg got his hands on them, storage wasn’t an issue, but we really don’t know what happened before the wines got here. That said, nothing can fully describe the disaster the Monprivato was.

I think the clear lesson here is that in a tasting filled with completely shut down wines, we were drawn to the few wines that didn’t punch us in the face and actually showed some fruit.

I seem to remember AG saying something about the possibility of a widespread problem with the corks for 2001 Baroli. Does anyone know to what it is I’m referring?

Only one data point, but I had an '01 ‘Granbussia’ a few months back, was fantastic…

I’m sure that Greg would comment that these are more than atypical results,especially for 01 and especially for some usual Barolo stalwarts;however,I would also think that he would attribute many of these “negative” results as the barking of adolescents with an eye towards Astor…all that oxidation,eh?

I’ve had the Monprivato,CF,Cappellano,Cavallotto,Marcarini,and Massolino several times,but not in the past 2 years…and never had a experience remotely similar to this outing.
Sorry for the disappointment…

No time right now but maybe later I’ll post some notes.

John - my scores are pretty much in line with yours although generally about 2 points below except for a few. The Serralunga flight was really bad - the Cappellano smelled like nothing so much as a sewer. I don’t know if it was the wine or the wine making, but something was hugely wrong and it wasn’t because of a cooked bottle or that type of issue. Seems like there’s a bacterial problem somewhere, which is a shame because those can be hard to fix. The Monforte flight seemed to have a lot of weird VA issues. In fact that was the big take-away from those wines.

Brunate was nice. Those were drinkable wines all the way. I really liked the Macarini - that was probably my favorite wine of the night.

Thanks to Greg for his generosity, and also thanks to Bob for setting us up even tho he didn’t attend! Maybe he was better off? But anyhow, the food was great after the tasting and except for a few, the wines improved as they took on air, even tho Greg had opened them many hours earlier.

Troubling showing to say the least - I am especially pleased that three wines that I current have residing in the cellar (the Monprivato, Brovia Garblet Sue’ and G. Conterno Cascina Francia) showed so well pileon .

http://forum.winestar.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23516

Greg converted me to the school of double decanting way ahead for old Barolo, but I wonder if perhaps these would have benefited from more open-air decanting. Perhaps they’d have fleshed out more if they’d had more air before we tasted through them.

This is intriguing, but I can’t tell what kind of “cork flaws” Galloni was talking about – TCA or other something else. I recall Enrico Dellapiana at Rizzi telling me two years ago that he had bad corks that caused half of one of his 2001 crus (I can’t remember which and don’t seem to have taken notes) to age poorly.