Started WSET Diploma; Please Pray for Me

After a longer break since Advanced than I probably should have taken, I’ve started Diploma. Surprisingly there’s no class for Diploma in Atlanta so I’m doing self-study and webinar using the Philly-based group. Working thru Unit 2 (required to be taken first) now. Not so intimidated as it’s mostly memorization and a multiple-choice test. Unit 3, the big boy tasting-focused section that counts for half of the entire credits for certification, scared the %$#@ out of me. I had a couple tasting groups of other serious studiers, but those have fallen apart over time. If anyone knows a good group in Atlanta, or has overall tips for living thru this, I’d welcome them.

Can I just wish you good luck?!!

Or, as the Japanese say “Gambatte”!

Thanks! I’ll definitely take any well wishes.

I am almost done my WSET diploma…and man you are right…it is one hell of an endeavour.
I have finished everything except the Unit 1 essay essays (which are the easiest part of the whole program) Unit 3 is really intense and requires that you have a very good tasting group and are tasting at least 2 times per week and using the systematic approach to tasting used in all WSET exams.
It is relaly rigorous…but you learn so much and meet great people…good luck…let me know if you need any help/advice as you move through it.

Chad,

I started in 2008 and finished 18 months later. Unit 3 is indeed the big one, but don’t underestimate 4, 5 and 6 either. As for studying, the syllabi give you a pretty good outline on how to do so. It’s real graft, but there’s no way around it.
As for tasting and writing structured notes, there is a definite bonus in some tutoring from a certified teacher or else someone who has recently passed. Trust me, your chances on passing are severey diminished if you don’t. Oh… and practice as much as you can.

Wow, Mike, 18 months?!? That’s some serious dedication! The whole thing took me about 3 years.

I agree that tutoring from someone qualified to help you write the tasting notes is extremely helpful, almost essential. Diploma focuses much more on writing descriptive quality assessments and other types of conclusions than Advanced does. The more you’re able to do nonblind comparative tastings and blind WSET format tastings, the better off you’ll be. I found myself getting a lot better with practice.

Oh, and I recommend dedicating more time to studying theory than you initially think is necessary or even reasonable. It’s a lot of material, and they want some pretty good detail when they ask specific questions.

Doug,

Between 2 and 4 years seems to be pretty normal for people who are ITB. I was lucky enough to be self-employed in those days, so for the most part I didn’t have to work around anyone else’s schedules other than consultant’s gigs I took on. Apparently, we had a good group, because I was not even the first to graduate.