Alaska Airlines - Wines fly free

Read all the details here. This program was influenced by the folks in Walla Walla (bing bang). [wink.gif]

"Now, instead of just one or two cases of checked wine per week, Alaska Airlines is transporting upward of 30 cases of wine a week per participating airport during peak season, according to airline spokeswoman Bobbie Egan.

And the waived fees make a difference. For the 70 wineries in Walla Walla area alone, “the program represents at least a quarter to a half-million dollars of additional wine sales a month in the peak season,” said Wollmuth."

Do the math: I knew Washington wines were expensive but an average of $500 -$1000 a case?

This program came out Aug 15, and was posted frequently on Facebook at the time. Both Sonoma and various WA airports now have this free checked case of wine offer, through Alaska, and it’s brilliant.

I took advantage of this last year when I visited walla walla. I didn’t think I was going to use it fully but in the end I used mine and most of my friend’s case too.

+1.

Now for the promo tie in to WineCheck:)!

Yeah, Portland too. We’ve had a lot of customers comment.

Another nice thing (in Walla Walla at least) was that it seemed as if all the wineries knew about the deal and promoted it. It was definitely well publicized, and when you rolled up to the checkout counter instead of the rolling of the eyes for odd-sized packages, the airline staff seemed genuinely happy that we were taking advantage of the offer.

It’s not one of those ‘hollow’ offers that will give you blank stares when you ask about it.

k.

I hate Airlines. Alaska is pretty nice to fly though.

Southwest has 2 free checked bags…includes a case of wine

have you done this? I am aware of the two free bags, just wanted to make sure it could include a case of wine as a checked bag?

I have done this numerous times when returning from Napa out of the Oakland airport

Here is Southwest Airlines’ policy.

k.

Edit: But for that matter, most airlines will allow you to ship wine in checked baggage. Delta doesn’t consider alcohol under 48 proof hazardous, so as long as it fits its size and weight requirements, I imagine you’d be fine. The thing with Alaskan Air is that they allow an extra box/bag for the wine over the limit. But if you have status with an airline, the baggage allowance isn’t really an issue anyhow.

A checked bag is a checked bag. You can ship two cases of wine as checked. Just make sure it’s in styro.