Corliss Fall Release

Corliss just announced their fall release and you can only buy in batches of 6. I’ve only bought once before (the last spring release syrah), but this time they have on offer a red blend ($65 per bottle x6) and a cabernet sauvignon ($75 per bottle x6).

I’m only going to get one of them, and I was wondering if anyone had experience with these wines of theirs in the past. Hopefully Full Pull will have them by the bottle later on.

k.

Both wines are quite tasty. At the younger end I think the Red Wine performs better. It is a little annoying that they require purchase of 6 packs. I feel like this is new, as of 3 weeks ago you could order single bottles of the 2007 Cab and Red Wine. They should at least offer at mixed 6 pack, with 3 of each.

I’ve had the 2007 Cab and loved it. Just ordered a 6-pack of the 2008 Cab.

I do agree with Michael. I wish they would sell a mixed 6 pack with three of each. I was tempted to wait for an offering from Full Pull as well.

My thoughts on the 2006 cabernet :

94 points This wine is freaking awesome. First sip out of the freshly opened botlte was nice but basic. Decanted for 1 hour and then slow o’d for about 4. Wonderful. Moderate tannins, complex savory flavors of bell pepper, meat, spice and sweet oak.

Cellartracker average is 93.3, so I’m not an outlier.

But I just bought 4 bottles of the 2007 cabernet for $50 each, so the price here is not attractive. France 44, my neighborhood total ripoff store has the 2007 for $70. I don’t see an incentive to be on the mailing list.

Interesting, I usually do a winesearcher reality check when these tough calls come around, and this time I forgot. It seems as if most of the wines can be obtained online for roughly $5 under the winery bottle price. I guess that extra $5 goes towards the slick wood box and fancy paper packaging. I must admit that their bottles come impressively packaged, and it is my guess that this is why they do the 6-bottle minimum.

And you are 100% correct Joe, France 44 is a ripoff – but the cheese lures me in every now and then :wink:

k

Yes, it is a strange dilemna. I want to support good wineries, but they’re basically asking me to screw myself over and pay MORE for their wine when I can buy it any day of the week at retail for less. A higher price plus bundling? No way. I’m sorry but I’ve decided that I don’t buy from mailers if I can easily get their wines for the same price or less at retail.

As for France 44, I do go there sometimes. I like to sometimes wander their selection, laugh at the pricing, maybe buy a cheap obscure bottle if I see it. And when I’m only buying 1/4 lb of nice cheese, who cares if it’s $20 a pound or $50 a pound? It’s more important that they have great cheese to choose from. Which they do.

It’s such a simple fix too, just give a 10% member discount or free shipping as many other clubs/allocations do.

k.

I had the '06 Corliss cab last night. While it is really REALLY good, and we’ve enjoyed it alot- I would not go to the $70+ range for it. We paid when we purchased it $47, which I think is a very good price (actually wish I bought more for that price). But I think they overpriced it for the fall release.

I keep hoping to get a good answer to my question; ‘Why don’t wineries offer wines to their mailing list for a discount to retail since there is no middleman or 3 involved?’. They would have more loyal customers, a greater profit margin and customers pay less. Sure seems like a win, win all around. Just sayin’

Got some '07 Corliss Proprietary red for $50 a bottle. Very nice qpr, imho.

Not sure if it’s the good answer you’re hoping for, but the answer is because they do not want to underprice the distributors, who buy a LOT of wine.