2012 Burgundy Pricing

Just saw today’s PC emailer with Jadot’s 2012 pricing - sheesh! Ursules @ $70, Boudots @ $105, Lavaux @ $110. I stopped buying Bordeaux when they did this in 2003.

Predictable considering the low yields and the perceived quality.

2012 Chapelle Chambertin $219.99 on " Pre-arrival from PC "

OR

2010 Chapelle Chambertin $159.99 on " In-Stock from PC "

Also I bought Boudots from PC on sale for like $60 In-Stock!!! Also I thought 2012 quality wise was not as high as 2010???

newhere

Perceived quality always seems to be high. How often is a vintage panned at pre-release?

According to Clive Coates, '12 is at least on par with '10 maybe better.

I think the first offer from PC is always high. No sense discounting if someone will pay more. Of course on a relative scale 2012 may be pricy even in the best case.

C’mon Ian, pony up…it’s Burgindy afterall…the Holy Roller Grail!!! And I am sure there is 50% less of it than last year (which seems to be the mantra since 2010).

I too was alarmed by the PC Jadot prices. And this is the first I’ve heard that '12 could potentially be on par with '10. Is that right? If so, I see steep discounts on '11s in our future.

Yeah, it’s a real bummer. It’s my daughter’s birth year so was hoping to get some good stuff to lay down but I’ve got enough burgundy that I don’t need to pay through the nose. Probably get her a bunch of pomerol and some other non-burgs.
A

Comparing BDX pricing to Burgundy pricing is like comparing apples to asparagus. They both start with the letter A and you consume them. Otherwise, they are completely different.

I don’t think anyone is comparing the two in this thread.

Yes, I did have to laugh when I looked at that email. Delete.

An increase is predictable, but these hikes seem high to me. Though I agree it’s not correct for me to compare the situation with that in Bordeaux, where the big hike seemed to be purely opportunistic.

I imagine a company like Jadot wants to maintain constant earnings, at least, despite the smaller volume they can offer in a year like this. My heart goes out to the Burgundy farmers (Jadot, not so much) for their travails of the past few years, but the practical effect on a guy like me is to push my dollars heavily towards the Loire and Beaujolais, however deep my affection for red Burgundy. [cry.gif]

Or you could buy older vintages

Absolutely a good standby…same with Bordeaux.

If you want to take storage risk…

Right, of course, but I imagine backload prices will jump too, if the prices cited are a fair proxy for what we’ll be seeing from here on.

Can be limited by using the right vendors. Though I doubt I’ll pass completely on '12, have to at least check it out.

Supply is tiny (particularly in the Cote de Beaune) in 2012. World demand for wines from the region has never been higher. I don’t like it but prices will be high for the 2012’s.

Thanks for the info…

[cheers.gif]