Caymus: for real?

I just read that Caymus bottled 830,000 cases of wine at their Rutherford facility last year. This doesn’t count the wine bottled at their Santa Lucia Highlands facility. WHO is drinking all this wine???

Right now, there are thousands of business folks / sales people at a steak restaurant ordering this wine.

The wine wasn’t all Caymus. There are a number of small producers that use the facility and they have been increasing their production too.

I forgot to mention the last limo group bought 6 bottles of Caymus, along with Lewis, Stags Leap Fay and Rombauer Chard. [cheers.gif]

I open at least 6 each year, and yes, usually at a steak house…

I have always wondered about quantities of wine ordered when steak houses (or other restaurants) order wines. Just how many bottles of each vintage do you think that each place orders?

Thanks

Why isn’t this in Wine Talk? [scratch.gif]

because it’s in asylum!

Given the way you look in your avatar, I’m going to accept that answer.

Just read they are building a 5 million gallon winery in Solano County with 100+ acre vineyards as well. They have done a good job of branding themselves and spinning off new labels. They also just paid a huge fine for over bottling in their Napa Valley facility, but I believe it was still cheaper than opening up an additional bottling line.
The Caymus cabs are still under 100,000 cases supposedly, it’s the Connundrum, Mer Soleil, Belle Glos, etc. labels that are killing it. Caymus cabs at <$15 were the wines I broke my cherry on, loved those wines.

Hey, why is this in Wine Talk?

[snort.gif]

Because there is no Oak talk forum

Nice.

This.

Also, I’m guessing a huge percentage of that is Conundrum

And Meiomi

I think Caymus Cab is like 360,000 bottles

I remember reading the special selection is usually a 30,000 case wine in an average year. Kind of doubt both Cabs + the Zin make more than 100k cases annually, if that so the Conundrum, Mer Soleil and Belle Glos must make up the bulk.

How are the wines?

Yes, and its in Mexico. There is a dearth of CA wine in Mexico, for reasons we can discuss separately but my point is that in one wine shop in central Mexico, there was Meomi, Mer Soleil and Caymus, across about 10 slots of CA wine (BV, Kendall Jackson, etc). This is another reason why there is 830K cases.

I could use about 830,000 cases of caymus right about now

Oaky, lots of extraction, vanilla and Missouri oak (even if they don’t use Missouri oak.)
Did I mention oak?

Right up OUR alley, Berry [wink.gif]

You know my palate well scott