TN: 2005 Jonata Winery La Sangre de Jonata (USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley)

• 2005 Jonata Winery La Sangre de Jonata - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Ynez Valley (8/15/2009)
    Decanted 4.5 hours, drank over 3. Extremely dark color, virtually black. Blueberries jumped out as I poured it into the decanter. Lots going on with this wine. Alternately tight, unyielding, expressive, rich, concentrated. This is a baby that tested with a high IQ and off the charts personality. It will be very interesting to see how this develops over the next 10 years.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks. This is the Syrah right? i need to open one of these to try.

Loren,

Sangre = Syrah. And I agree with Brian, it is very impressive.

What’s the tariff on this puppy? I’ve enjoyed many of the Jonata wines I’ve tried, but felt that they were quite rich $-wise compared to many others from the area . . .

Cheers!

I had the wine twice un April at my Culinary Festival with great food. it is a large scaled California type Syrah. Well made, great fruit and future.

Larry,

It was $125 on release.

Had this a few months back for my anniversary. I hate to rain on the parade, but i just wasn’t diggin’ it. Although it wasn’t necessarily my style, I still couldn’t appreciate it for the price tag of $250 (restaurant pricing). Really lean from my recollection with gamey and peppery notes. And i found the heat really unbearable. The next day, I had a bottle of 07 Neyers Lakeville Syrah for $30 (retail pricing) and I thought it was much more enjoyable. I know we are talking two different regions, but still, I can’t give the Jonata the nod. Would like to retry. you never know where that bottle was before it was opened.