Reynvaan Allocation

I got my Reynvaan allocation notice today. This is only my second offering from them, and I still haven’t gotten my first one (it ships early November).

They upped my allocation this time, but there is no way I can get it all. It would cost about $2,500.

I am sure someone gets their wine on this forum. Any advice on what to get?

k.

The Contender was really an amazing wine back in 2007…but that’s a crazy allocation. $2,500. How many bottles is that?

They offer 2x three-bottle packs for each wine, and there are six wines. It would be 36 bottles total. But even if I get half of the allocation and want to try each wine, the three-bottle packaging means it will be 18 bottles and roughly $1,250. So therein lies the problem.

I think I am going to get 12 bottles, so I have to choose 4 of the 6 wines.

Reynvaan is getting some crazy high scores. Apparently, their 2010 Stonessence Syrah got 98 points by Harvey Steiman, which is the highest rated Washington wine ever. I know it is just one score by one man, but still.

k.

Stonessence, Rocks & Contender have been our favs. Hoping to be there in November.

Other than the 100 points year after year that QC used to get, and quite a few other wines as well. Suggest you find a friend that has been on the list and try a bottle that’s been released. But even if you don’t like them, they probably can be sold for what you would pay for them.

You are totally right on the Qc. Just re-read the claim, it was the highest that Wine Spectator has ever given a WA red. Still not sure if it is true, but that is what their release notes said.

k.

So a 1 year wait to get the bottles? The Cayuse model. Glad I can still get it at retail in Seattle.

Tom

Christophe is their “consultant” after all…

I get their mailers and bought the first year, now pick up a few bottles locally from Sec and StoryTeller.

That’s a good idea. I’ve bought online from Sec before (I can’t get it locally). It looks like you can also buy their wines from Vinopolis among others. The Stoneessence seams more difficult to get though, so I might just get my whole allocation of that one.

k.

Once in awhile you can find some of their bottles discounted at retail but if there are specific wines you are interested in then their release is the way to go.

I love their wines and consistently buy every year. Stoneessence, Contender and the Unnamed are my favorites. In the Rocks is great too. I have not tried the Foothills Reserve or the In the Hills yet. I know it’s a younger vineyard but I’m sure its good too.

We tried the Foothills when we last visited Reynvaan last Nov but the tasting room was an absolute zoo, and we were there before lunch! While it’s hard to really taste/evaluate wine like that Foothills seemed like a stylistic outlier to us. I would need to spend more time in a quiet place with that wine.

I have a bottle or two arriving in my fall shipment this year. I might have to pop one as soon as it arrives to get a better idea too. I read a few reviews on cellartracker and everyone seems to say the same thing - it’s stylistically different than the other bottlings.

Maybe they’re trying out the transition of winemakers. Christophe demanded complete control at the start. Maybe it’s changing now that they have a line of people waiting to buy from them?

This is a good example of where the 3 pack minimums start to become oppressive. I can be a bit more forgiving when there are only 1-2 wines offered (aka Lillian, to stick with high end Syrah). But with Reynvaan, I’m a bit hesitant to commit to 3 bottles of wines that haven’t proven themselves like the Foothills and the new wine, In the Hills. That being said, they clearly have no problem selling out every year and likely don’t need my money.

I’ve been buying Reynvaan since 2010, before they went to the allocation model. This is the first year where I’m considering not getting at least some of each of the Syrahs. 1) They increased the price on Stonessence and Contender to $85/btl, three others to $65/btl, and the newest wine, “In The Hills” is $60/btl. 2) They are starting to make too many different wines.

Stonessence was $65 last year, Contender $60, In The Rocks and Unnamed $50. At these prices, I was more than happy to buy a 3 pack of each. I’m not sure I can handle a $15-$20 increase in price in just one year, even considering demand and scores. I also think they are making a mistake by increasing the numbers of wines they offer. Then again, they are following an existing successful model (Cayuse), so who am I to say they’re doing it wrong.

My first bottles were in the $40-45 range which I think is a good price for a good wine. I have not seen consistent notes indicating they are worth a lot more to me. [snort.gif]

2008 unnamed was v solid last weekend. I have issues with price point, however. These are at least 20-30% overpriced imo

I made the same rant last year about the price increases. That being said, I am back on their allocation list (and I will apologize to Matt Reynvaan for my big mouth).

On the newer wines, I wish their was a way to get a 3-pack with one bottle of each (i.e. Foothills, In The Hills and the new Cab) to try out or a Vintner’s Choice 3-pack

Every single critic that I can think of is raving about the 2012’s along the entire West Coast.

I am in for the Stonessence, Contender, In The Rocks and Unnamed some of which I have been buying since their inaugural release.

On the newer wines, I wish their was a way to get a 3-pack with one bottle of each (i.e. Foothills, In The Hills and the new Cab) to try out or a Vintner’s Choice 3-pack