Worst Critic (not named Parker)?

Who do you think is the worst wine critic? I was thinking about this in terms of the critic whose palate is least like your own, but I suppose it could also be interpreted to mean whose writing is least helpful/prosaic, etc.

I am excepting Parker because it’s almost too easy. I suppose Jonathan Newman should also get an exemption, though I don’t think he really qualifies anyway.

Jay Miller (not the one in my tasting group)

Johnathan Newman?

The thing about Parker, for me, (aside from the shitey biz at the old place) is that I often find his reviews useful. After reading a lot and drinking a lot, I can often figure out what I need to know. Often this is through reverse logic (many factors he praises are not for me). I have the first three Bx editions, and there is great info there.

Gilman

Pierre Rovani for his piece of work on Burgundy.

1 Like

Fascinating response Bob. I am curious as to why you choose Gilman. Would you be willing to share?

Depends on the varietal…

James Laube’s style preference for Cali Pinot is SO different from mine and his Cab styles are hit and miss, but usually not in line with what I like. I would probably pick Laube for not a match with me, but it’s not always true.

Incidentally, I think the title of your thread is misleading…

Gilman would be very unlike my palate, but I find him very consistent and an excellent writer, so I would hardly call him a bad critic. I can read one of his reviews and know if I will like the wine or not. I happen to like Parker, but for those who don’t like his reviews, I would think the same is often true.

Neal Martin

I actually think we share a similar palate but his scores make zero sense to me as a consumer…

James Suckling. The rest are posers.

This thread has the potential to go very bad, very quickly…

All of 'Em. “If BS WAS MUSIC,THEY ALL WOULD BE A BRASS BAND” !! [wow.gif] [soap.gif]

1 Like

Come on … Suckling is at least entertaining! He is the Rodney Dangerfield/Benny Hill of wine critics.

Plus , HE LIVES IN TUSCANY!

Not the intent. But I think who to avoid is almost as important/interesting as who to follow.

Suckling gets my vote. Does he still not score for wines rated lower than 90 points? I don’t care for his writing style and I think he’s a bit…generous with his points.

I would have thought the “worst” wouldn’t be someone you merely disagree with - we all like different flavours - but someone who is inconsistent, completely misses drinking windows, and where whether they liked something or not gives you no information at all. My nomination: Jeremy Oliver

WORST: Jay Miller (single-handedly eliminated an entire region from my review readings), with an honorable mention to James Suckling

BEST: Galloni (though the grade inflation has gotten out of control)

HEAD SCRATCHER: Neal Martin (good stuff generally, but lacks consistency with notes and scores that can be all over the place)

We don’t share the same palate for sure, it’s not what he says but how he says it.

Any critic whose descriptions go too far beyond actually describing what the wine tastes like or is an essence of. Linzer torte anyone?

Rainbows or Trojans??