Durand Redux?

I’m getting ready to order a Durand cork puller. I perused the thread from 2 years ago and I’m wondering how those who acquired it back then, feel about it now. All info will be appreciated.

It’s the best thing ever. Forget Coravin…

Worth every penny!

Fantastic device. Just used it the other night for a 1979 Beaucastel. Cork came out whole with no problem at all. No chance with a regular corkscrew.

I heard they were offering longer worms, can anyone confirm?

Edit. I’m dumb. User error on durand

Love it!

best wine tool ever. Love it!

Love it, buy with confidence.

I understand what the durand is, but I have not laid out the (big) dollars to purchase one because I do not understand how it can solve the largest problem I see with old (30+ years) corks. I drink a lot of 30+ year old bordeaux and the first thing I see is that many of those corks want to go IN the bottle at first touch. Neither a worm or Ah-soo or both, it seems to me, solves that problem. Please help me understand how the durand solves this . . .

I am a durand lover and user.

Gary Rust…big bucks is certainly relative. For a 30 year old wine whose value is easily over $200-300 the durand is chump change.
the worm is inserted first, using little or no pressure, this hold the cork in place for insertion of the Ah-so part of the device. then everything comes out. Haven’t lost a cork since using the durand.

The Durand has a very sharp, and long worm that you use to secure the cork. Then you use their Ah-so style puller to remove the bottle. The long worm prevents the cork from falling in, and it also stabilizes the cork so it doesn’t break.

I’ve only lost one cork with the Durand, that was when I just touched the tip of the worm to the cork and it fell in. Nothing would have worked on that.

I love it and feel it was well worth he money.

My friend Mark who developed this device has said they were experimenting with this idea.
I think Roy Hersh had suggested it for some very long port corks.
I don’t think it is in production.

Love it. Much cheaper when gifted by your spouse

Love it. Used it last night on an 89 Lynch Bages.

Love it - a truly great device.

I hope this does not sound snobby, but the truth is people buying $20 QPR wines don’t need this and shouldn’t buy it.

It is a solution for a problem - corks on aged fine wines become difficult to extract cleanly. This tool solves that problem effectively with ease 19 times out of 20.

Cheers,
Blair

Love it. Well worth it if you open older (even just 15+ years) bottles with any frequency.

Thanks to all who have responded.

They did make a few with longer worms for Roy - perhaps prototypes - and may still have some in stock if you call. I got one - the worm is a little longer, not dramatically, but it could make the difference on a long crumbly cork. I’ve never had a problem with either the standard or long-worm version, including several bottles over 40 years old where the corks came out fine but then pretty much disintegrated after removing the worm.