What's your BIGGEST WINE MISTAKE ever?

Could be a bad purchase, a lemon of a wine cabinet, a missed purchase, whatever…just curious.

Buying lesser wine because it was such a good deal and then only drinking two bottles from the case. I’d prefer to buy two great bottles than a case of party wine.

Perse’s Pavie

Not buying more great '82 Bordeaux.

Not discovering CT earlier. [snort.gif]
Second biggest, discovering Full Pull. champagne.gif

I once bought mad dog 20/20

Reading Leve’s posts on the Squires board…

+1

Not buying enough 1999 and 2002 Burgundy when I started collecting in 2007, when it was still sorta on the market. I did buy a lot of 2005, mostly blindly based on Burghound scores, knowing absolutely nothing about producer or vineyard aside from the fact I liked Burgundy. I’ll know in 10 years if I made the right choices I guess.

You really want to know? OK – not buying the four bottles of Ch. Latour a Pomerol 1947 for $25. Not buying the second bottle of Ch. Gruaud Larose 1918 for $38. Not buying the rest of the 1961 and 1962 d’Yquem halves from the cellar of the little old lady in Anacostia. Not buying Ch. Lafite Rothschild 1959 for $40, even though Larry Bender told me how good it was right out of the magnum sitting in his convertible. Not buying the other eight bottles of Ch. Latour 1961 for $34. Not buying all the 1971 DRC Myron Norman had for $25-30 per (“Oh, the 1972 is so much better…”)

Glad you asked?

Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda, oh well! [cheers.gif]

Driving through Fargo ND and not buying all the 1997 Solaia they were selling for $69 a bottle.

k.

I see a lot more regrets in this thread over opportunities missed than misspent funds.

Listening to a certain gouty critic about '93 red Burgundy.

But you still have a couple of bottles of 1993 Leroy grand crus and Dugat Griottes in your cellar, right? :slight_smile:

2000 Lynch-bages $39.00 sure seemed high at the time, bought some, not enough.

+2

During hurricane Irene I had some water in my basement that I was afraid might reach the wine cellar which is up a step from the rest of the cellar. I was moving a small rack of mags with the mags in it like an idiot and I broke a mag of '82 Ch. Sociando Mallet. Doh!

Just spending too much money on wine. We have met some great people along the way though. I wish I had spent about half the amount of money on wine and bought a couple more guitars. We are happily drinking down the cellar down to about 1/3 what it was three years ago.

As a previous poster had alluded too, ignored the concept of “daily drinkers”. That is usually a code phrase b retailers for crap they have to unLoad.

Buying too much wine before I truly had a good idea of why I liked, instead of what I was “supposed” to like.