TN: 2010 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne

2010 Domaine Fourrier Gevrey-Chambertin Vieille Vigne - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin (8/13/2013)
There’s been quite a lot written about this wine already, and the themes have been largely consistent - youthful, sappy, red fruit and some spice, with the underpinnings of the wine largely hidden in the background under the fruit. Yep - that’s this wine. It bears more than a passing resemblance to a 2010 Lapierre Morgon in its purity, freshness and light-handed drinkability, but has more substance in the background waiting to emerge. Of course that may never happen, as the wine is so delicious now that it’s hard not to drink it all in one go.

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note David.

I’ve been resisting opening a bottle, but this is soooo tempting.

Diane - if you have more than one I would open it. It’s a delicious experience.

Interesting. I’ve had this 3 times now and didn’t think it was anything like a Lapierre Morgon. The wine is so dense that it reminds me a lot of 05 burgundy. I think it is a great bottle and probably needs 15 years to show its true colors.
A

Interesting to me as well. Dense is a word I would not use for this wine at all. I had a number of the '05 Fourriers when they first came out, and those wines were much more coiled and dense.

I had the 05 version a couple weeks ago, very approachable now with incredible depth for it’s level…all put together in the Fourrier style that I adore

I have two, and of course have been itching to try one (also have two of the Aux Echezeaux VV). Still on the fence, perhaps waiting until Fall . . .

(Or until my wife goes out-of-town so I can have the whole bottle to myself!) neener

I would lean more towards Foillard than Lapierre, but I think the analogy is apt. If you have a few, it’s worth sampling to get a baseline, but honestly the difference between Fourrier and Foillard is not enough for me at this stage to try more than one: I am convinced it will bloom down the road, but for now and the next few years I will work on the Beaujolais.

Diane - Hold! I know your palate pretty well and think you’ll find this waaaaaay too fruit driven at this time.

Interesting, considering my recent bottle of 2011 Foillard and relatively recent 2010 Lapierre. I thought about both, and Lapierre stuck for me.

I know most people would disagree with me but I think Fourrier wines are at their best in their youthful stage. I do not think this is true for most burg producers but I think Fourrier makes the perfect early drinking burgundy. I have zero shame in opening them young.

Sounds tempting…thanks for the note.

I agree to a large extent but older vintages have aged in a far more classic and rewarding way than one would necessarily expect.

I opened a '96 clos st jacques a few months ago that was just stunning. Pure, classic, transparent and really great.
A

To be clear Im not saying that Fourrier can not age very nicely but I think they are very special as young fresh wines. They do something that few other cote d’or producers do in terms of texture and purity of flavor. Its hard to describe and Ive never really seen it outside of a few Beaujolais producers and clos saron in california.

…To be clear Im not saying that Fourrier can not age very nicely but I think they are very special as young fresh wines…

I know and understand what you are trying to say.

Like Rousseau CdBeze - just wish one could afford and had access to buy more… blush

Hi David
Enjoyed the notes.Thank you. Haven’t touched any of my 10 Fourrier, perhaps it’s time.
Did a short Lapierre vertical last evening, as the 05 had an hour or so to breathe, lots of comments regarding its “burgundian” qualities. Fourrier, Lapierre, Foillard, Pacalet - kindred spirits?

Thoughts on '08?

I’ll state the obvious…'08 generally needs time to come around as compared to '09 and '10