TN: 2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese

2001 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/19/2013)
This was served sort of blind, as the label was a wreck, with everything but the producer obscured. We first thought it might be a 2002, as it was very open and expressive. We bounced between spatlese and auslese, finally settling on auslese only by reflecting on the character of the 2002 vintage. About that time the water from the ice bucket softened up the junk obscuring the label, and we discovered it was the 2001 Auslese! What a joy to find a 2001 auslese drinking so well, with plenty of fruit left, a smoky minerality and a long, vibrant finish. Not a hint of creaminess, just pure riesling. Delicious stuff that is good to go now, with plenty of stuffing to let it sit for a long, long time. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

What’s wrong with creaminess?

Nothing truly wrong with it, but I happen to prefer less of it in my rieslings (which is why I do not buy Loosen).

On this we agree totally…

Found a forgotten case of '01 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Himmelreich Auslese* in the course of doing some inventory work Saturday–hope they’re performing as nicely as the '01 S-O you tried.

The Himmelreich Auslese* is lighter than the Sonnenuhr Auslese, so it’s probably ready to go.

Thank you, sir.

Only one way to find out.

You’d probably like me to bring this to the next OL instead of bubbly, wouldn’t you, Howard? Maybe I should. C pretty much dislikes riesling and I’m not an enthusiast, as you know, although I like it well enough–most of what I bought I got for her late parents’ benefit. So, it won’t get drunk at home. Might as well drink it with you guys.

If you have a case and don’t like Riesling then you need 12 offlines…STAT!

There are one or two riesling fans in our group. If we have to live without Champagne the next year or so, well then …

You obviously have never gone to an offline with Randy. He is, shall we say, overly generous with the amount of wine he brings.

Thanks for this note. I have a couple of these tucked away in the cellar. [cheers.gif]

I had this 2001 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese over 4 nights as a dessert. It’s electrifyingly vibrant, with a hit of acidity that doesn’t fade at all over the days. 7.5% abv. Its green granny smith apples, squeezed limes, and a little minerality. Long finish. I’ve had it since release and it seems to have been worth the wait. It has not formed petrol like flavors. Easy A It’s a big 2001 in its prime now.

I opened a bottle of this for a zoom tasting with Herr Selbach a couple of weeks ago and it was terrific. Perfectly balanced. Long. Delicious.

Thanks David,

Great note and nice to get the delayed unblinding after working through your guesses. I went reasonably deep in '01 (not nearly as you) and wish I had gone deeper. Take a generationally great vintage and add to that a classic, gifted producer and good things are to come. I suspect these will be delicious for the next several decades. Something to look forward to for sure.

Thanks again

Ha! I just saw this note was 7 years old. I bet it is singing right now.

Arv and Maureen had it recently and concur that it is great now. I need to dig up a bottle.

I have a couple, it was a bargain under $20.