Favorite summer wines 2013

How can we not have a summer wine thread yet??

It’s a record hot year, so there must be all kinds of Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, and Rose being consumed, at a rapid rate.

List some favorites, readily available, with location and price if possible! I need to stock up, as it is neighborhood summer concert series season, baby…

My go to is Herb Lamb Two Old Dogs sauvignon blanc.

Dehlinger Chard just to tweak Todd. neener

Pazos de Señorans Albarino.

Simple enough with fresh green herbs, citrus, flowers and green apple peel, but with enough concentration and length to make it worthwile. Lovely wine for the balcony.

Albarino is a good call - I need to remember to chase some down, as it’s a huge value wine.

We had the Abrente (Bedrock) Albarino with grilled dolphin tacos a week or so ago.
Really great together.

Is it a record hot year? I’m not disagreeing, but I hadn’t heard that. It’s seemed more humid than usual this summer in coastal OC, and consequently a bit warmer than usual at night, but the high temperatures haven’t seemed bad.

I’m a diversity guy, so I’ve been going through the usual assortment of stuff like Curran and Tercero Grenache Blanc, Curran Grenache Rose, german kabinetts, Huet Vouvray, white burgs, Bedrock whites, etc.

Not in SoCal, Chris, but almost everywhere else the heat is nuts this year

Heat is the sucks in Pasadena. Ugh.

All three of the 2012 Bevan Cellars Sauvignon Blancs (Kick Ranch, Ritchie and Tench). I’d highly recommend the Kick Ranch for summer drinking now. A fun, refreshing wine that has turned a number of heads among friends I’ve shared it with.

Any Bedrock White, including the mentioned Abrente Albarino. The Compagni Portis is my personal fave.

Dragonette Sauv Blanc - the best SB’s in Santa Barbara County IMO.

Larry Schaffer’s Tercero The Outlier Gewurz

Graham Tatomer’s Rieslings or Gruner

Cheers!

Steve

lots of 2010 Chablis…numerous bottles of Louis Michel MdT and Grossot Mont de Milieu

I love this wine for summer. I agree that albarinos are perfect with grilled fish. Morgan’s bottling is a must buy for me.

I’ve started to drink Muscadet. (Thanks Ryan Z.) I am interested to try Melon de Bourgogne’s from Oregon, in particular those from Biggio Hamina and Helioterra.

Sauv Blancs… Herb Lamb, Quivet, Eric Kent.

Niepoort Tiara. The white juice rocks and is well priced too.

This year I am enjoying:

(1) Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc…a summer favorite every year.
(2) Calicaro Viognier…all the floral and viscous characteristics you expect from Viognier, while staying light on its feet during a hot day.
(3) Crios Torrontes…I discovered this grape in 2012, and this is the best expression of it so far. Crisp and light, but with a a lemon zing that makes you feel like it was mixed with lemonade. So refreshing, and like $15 per bottle.
(4) Any rose from Provence I buy. Love them!

Liquid Farm White Hill and Rose. Triennes Rose, Myriad Semillon. Sparklers, the wife plows through some Iron Horse. A lot of 2006 Vintage Brut in the recycling bin. I’ve started to experiment with some Huet Vouvray and am really enjoying those.

Another +1 for Albarinos during the summer. We have an outdoor brunch spot in Jersey City that has a great BTG (can’t recall at the moment) that I always enjoy with some apps or fish tacos. I need to explore these more - I buy them here and there, enjoy them but never seem to load up. Really don’t know why I glaze over these sometimes. As Todd commented, great values to be had.

so far we’ve enjoyed various Chablis and the rosé from Domaine du Salvard

I’ve been enjoying much of the above, but the wines that have given me the most satisfaction this summer are Alto Adige whites, particularly from Cantina Terlan. Something about mountain grown whites I guess…

Jonathan

My favorite rose (um, I mean, white pinot noir) of the summer so far has been the J.K. Carriere Glass. Hits all the right notes.

'12 Arnot Roberts Rose
'12 Birichino Vin Gris
'11 Chualar Canyon Albarino “la Marea” (almost gone)
'11 Guimaro Godello
'11 Pepiere Briords
'11 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvingon Blanc
From the Tank (Jenny & Francois) - Vin Blanc